Parallels extremely slow??
    I have had my MacBook now for about 6 mo. and finally decided that not everything could be done w/o windows. So I broke down and bought Parallels, since I thought it would be nice to not have to restart the computer every time I needed to run something w/ windows. However, after I got Parallels installed, it ran veeeerrryyyy ssslllooowwwlllyy... So slowly that it made the computer unusable. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to fix it w/o upgrading the computer. By the way, I was running Win XP Pro w/ service pack 3.

How much RAM does your MacBook have, and how much have you assigned to the Parallels virtual machine?

Out of curiosity, what is it you think you can't do w/o Windows?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Specs:
    MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch
    I found that using Win XP Pro was considerably slower than using XP Home (obviously!). Mind you, it wasn't that much better in XP Home and I eventually gave up as I found I was using Windoze less and less.
    Oh...and only pretty girls use Macs...

First of all, let me say that I am a hardcore Mac fan. I love Mac, but not every little program out there is made for Windows. For example, I have about $300 worth of Sims games that became obsolete when I got a Mac. I also have .exe files that need run that I use for college. The thing I don't like the most about my Mac, however, is the Mac version of Microsoft Office. It's just much less intuitive (to me, at least). And the Mac version of office (pages, etc.) is just not as powerful as Microsoft Office.
    Having said all of that, there are things that I would like to use windows for. I only have 1 meg of RAM. I'm not sure how much is dedicated to Parallels right now, but I don't think it's very much (I'm at work right now away from my mac). Has anyone had success running parallels with windows xp or vista on a macbook w/ one MB of RAM? What about with an iMac (I just ordered one)?

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    1MB? Is that even possible?

I think you mean 1GB. That's way not enough RAM to run a virtual OS or a word processing program. >_<"

You need 2GB atleast to not lag like crazy.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I put 4 Gigs of RAM in my new iMac. Do you think that should be enough?

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by extreemsilver14 View Post
    Yeah, that's what I meant. I put 4 Gigs of RAM in my new iMac. Do you think that should be enough?
    Yes 4GB should be more than enough. ^-^

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information