New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Parallels extremely slow??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

extreemsilver14

extreemsilver14 is on a distinguished road

I have had my MacBook now for about 6 mo. and finally decided that not everything could be done w/o windows. So I broke down and bought Parallels, since I thought it would be nice to not have to restart the computer every time I needed to run something w/ windows. However, after I got Parallels installed, it ran veeeerrryyyy ssslllooowwwlllyy... So slowly that it made the computer unusable. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to fix it w/o upgrading the computer. By the way, I was running Win XP Pro w/ service pack 3.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

How much RAM does your MacBook have, and how much have you assigned to the Parallels virtual machine?

Out of curiosity, what is it you think you can't do w/o Windows?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
quicksilver

quicksilver will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP, 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, 1991 Powerbook 100, Gen 2 Nano, Gen 1 Touch

I found that using Win XP Pro was considerably slower than using XP Home (obviously!). Mind you, it wasn't that much better in XP Home and I eventually gave up as I found I was using Windoze less and less.

Oh...and only pretty girls use Macs...
QUOTE Thanks
extreemsilver14

First of all, let me say that I am a hardcore Mac fan. I love Mac, but not every little program out there is made for Windows. For example, I have about $300 worth of Sims games that became obsolete when I got a Mac. I also have .exe files that need run that I use for college. The thing I don't like the most about my Mac, however, is the Mac version of Microsoft Office. It's just much less intuitive (to me, at least). And the Mac version of office (pages, etc.) is just not as powerful as Microsoft Office.
Having said all of that, there are things that I would like to use windows for. I only have 1 meg of RAM. I'm not sure how much is dedicated to Parallels right now, but I don't think it's very much (I'm at work right now away from my mac). Has anyone had success running parallels with windows xp or vista on a macbook w/ one MB of RAM? What about with an iMac (I just ordered one)?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

1MB? Is that even possible?

I think you mean 1GB. That's way not enough RAM to run a virtual OS or a word processing program. >_<"

You need 2GB atleast to not lag like crazy.
QUOTE Thanks
extreemsilver14

Yeah, that's what I meant. I put 4 Gigs of RAM in my new iMac. Do you think that should be enough?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreemsilver14 View Post
Yeah, that's what I meant. I put 4 Gigs of RAM in my new iMac. Do you think that should be enough?
Yes 4GB should be more than enough. ^-^
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Aim?? | iCal Question... »