New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Transmission speed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Division.Bell

Division.Bell is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook 2.16 GHz Intel Core2Duo 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM OS X 10.4.11 120GB Intel GMA 950 (2007)

Hello

I was wondering how my download and upload speeds compared with others;

Downloading at around 20kb/sec, as high as 50kb/sec.
Uploading from 80kb/sec, as high as 140kb/sec.

I don't mind uploading more than I'm downloading, but is this the slow speed I've heard Transmission is notorious for?

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

I've had >800 kb/s in Transmission but as low as 1. I cap my upload speed to 75% of my potential max upload so as not to choke the connection.

I know several people report Transmission is a slow client but Google around aand you'll see this reported for just about every client. It's all so subjective and depends on so many variables* it's nearly impossible to make a direct comparison between clients.

*broadband speed, number of seeders, number of leechers, location/reliability of tracker, location of seeders, contention ratio of users, ISP traffic shaping etc etc.

Try selecting a 'stable' torrent download to run a test between clients. Maybe one from a commercial organisation that provides it's own seeding and tracker. That will narrow a few of the variables down

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
fishepa

fishepa is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini

Make sure you have you're ports forwarded in your firewall. this is a must when downloading torrents.

War Eagle!
QUOTE Thanks
Division.Bell

Division.Bell is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook 2.16 GHz Intel Core2Duo 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM OS X 10.4.11 120GB Intel GMA 950 (2007)

Thank you for your quick and helpful responses. I will look into forwarding the necessary ports and post my results.
QUOTE Thanks
AlexkDaMvP5

AlexkDaMvP5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Division.Bell View Post
Thank you for your quick and helpful responses. I will look into forwarding the necessary ports and post my results.
How do u do that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ripping with Toast 9 | Illustrator CS 3 vs. Leopard 10.5.5 »