New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

OS10.5.5: Mac Mail not updating IMAP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zanytomato

zanytomato is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

I've been poking around the forum, and was having trouble finding an answer to my question. If I missed something, please let me know. But if not... well, hopefully there is some help to be had for this.

I'm running 10.5.5 on a MacBook Pro (circa March or so). I've got several email accounts feeding into Mac Mail, one of which (my primary work address), is set up as IMAP. I get *a lot* of email in a day (often several hundred messages a day-- I'm a CS professor, and some of my classes I teach are huge, heh). I work with my email continually open so I can deal with things as they come in. For some reason, though, while my iPhone will pick up my new mail when I ask it to (I have it set to check on the hour otherwise), my laptop is only updated at an extreme delay. That is, new messages are only appearing after a long wait, sometimes an hour or more (and I do have it set to check at the highest frequency).

I can manually ask Mail to check for new messages, but it still will not find them. Yet if I quit Mail and reopen immediately, it will show the busy/wait signal next to the account, and it will find the new messages after a small delay. So I end up opening and closing Mail all day long, sometimes several times an hour when I'm waiting for important messages.

To further compound things, my email is constantly "resetting" in terms of read/unread and whether or not I've responded. I rely on those to keep my email straight, and this is proving frustrating. This is an issue I've had since I got my latest laptop, back in March or so. I seem to recall trying a few fixes that I found, but none of them worked (and I also recall people saying that this was an open, acknowledged problem with 10.5).

Lastly, I find that Mail gets "stuck" a lot, and I'm forced to close it and re-open it anyway.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Ditto. Mail in 10.4 worked perfectly.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
wamman

wamman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPhone | MacBook Pro

Interesting this. I've been experiencing at least the first part of the issue described for some months - i.e. MAC Mail using IMAP not updating with new messages. Have got into a habit of going offline/online to pick up new messages to get around it. But this is a very unsatisfactory workaround.

Now reviewing Thunderbird 3 beta 1 as an alternative which looks much better. (and now includes partial MAC AddressBook integration]. But some risk as it is beta.

Will be interested if anyone out there has a proper resolution for Mail tho.
QUOTE Thanks
n888

n888 is on a distinguished road

I've been experiencing the same problem with a large IMAP account of mine. Need to restart Mail constantly. The smaller account works no problem.

Switched to Thunderbird, and couldn't be happier. Email works the way it should.
QUOTE Thanks
edwardpeck

edwardpeck is on a distinguished road

I have an IMAP account both on my imac and my itouch. Messages coming in for that account arrive first on the itouch and between 5 minutes to two hours later in my IMAP account on the imac. This sounds very similar and wonder if anyone has figured out why this is happening. I have been already 4 hours on line with Apple and One hour on line with the service provider Telus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iChat/GMail/AIM | problem with itunes »