New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Time Machine Alternative

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

imme

imme is on a distinguished road

Im looking for an alternative to Time Machine to back up my data.

What I want to do is to select a few folders on my computer and set a destination hard drive to have it back up to. then when it backs up I just want it to backup or replace the files that have previously been backed up on the hard drive.

There is a windows program to do this that is fantastic (cant remember the name offhand) but you select the files, how often you want it to backup and job done.

I'v also thought about the idea of just creating an image with a program like superdur but im not sure how practical this is and if it will work well. all im interested in is the files and folders, not restoring a whole image of my hard drive.

The things I dont like about time machine is that I can set how often i want it to backup, it does multiple backups of my system when I only really want one that keeps getting replaced. I also seem to have multiple backup folders for the same day. I also never use the time machine restore interface I would just brows the folders and restore my files like that.

Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Sounds like a scheduled job with ChronoSync might be what you are looking for. I use it to keep my music in sync for my Sonos on another machine. Works great.
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

macgig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 gigs ram | 10.6.8

I like superduper or carbon copy cloner.
QUOTE Thanks
Jezzza

Jezzza is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfuller View Post
Sounds like a scheduled job with ChronoSync might be what you are looking for. I use it to keep my music in sync for my Sonos on another machine. Works great.
Thanks v much for this recommendation - I downloaded ChronoSync trial version, I trialled it and it worked just fine. I then purchased it.

My set-up is: Mac Pro running Windows XP on Parallels with an external 1TB hard drive attached. My Windows files reside on a networked Microsoft Exchange Server.

My concern was: if Microsoft Exchange Server went down, even though it has a back-up, what if that back-up failed? This would mean I would lose my 14,000 or so Word, Excel and PowerPoint files.

My solution: I installed ChronoSync on my Mac Pro and I set it up to synchronise between "MyDocuments" on Microsoft Exchange Server and a new folder ("ChronoSync MyDocuments") on my external 1TB hard drive.

Result: I'm now secure in the knowledge:
- I have multiple up-to-date back-ups;
- If I am away and wish to access MyDocuments remotely but Microsoft Exchange Server goes down, I can still access these files (on the external 1TB hard drive) using Mac Screen Sharing
- If I access a file (on the external 1TB hard drive), change it and save it ChronoSync will modify the file back on Microsoft Exchange Server

ALL GOOD
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzza View Post
Thanks v much for this recommendation - I downloaded ChronoSync trial version, I trialled it and it worked just fine. I then purchased it.

My set-up is: Mac Pro running Windows XP on Parallels with an external 1TB hard drive attached. My Windows files reside on a networked Microsoft Exchange Server.

My concern was: if Microsoft Exchange Server went down, even though it has a back-up, what if that back-up failed? This would mean I would lose my 14,000 or so Word, Excel and PowerPoint files.

My solution: I installed ChronoSync on my Mac Pro and I set it up to synchronise between "MyDocuments" on Microsoft Exchange Server and a new folder ("ChronoSync MyDocuments") on my external 1TB hard drive.

Everything is perfect and I'm secure in the knowledge I have multiple up-to-date back-ups.
Microsoft Exchange is a mail server. You can of course store data on Exchange, but it's actually stored in Exchange, not locally. Typically most corporations use Exchange as a back-end for Outlook, although there are other clients that can connect to it.

My guess is you're using an ordinary Windows Server and have your 'My Documents' folder redirected to it. And in that case, if you'd like to keep your files offline, it's just a matter of enabling folder synchronization in Windows. You can do this by opening 'My Documents', clicking the Tools menu and clicking the Synchronize option. This will allow 'My Documents' items to be available offline, while still keeping them safely stored on the server.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Exchange account issues in Mac Mail (Snow Leopard) | Finder problem »