New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Loss of bookmarks during update

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

InColdBlood

InColdBlood is on a distinguished road

Just stumbled across this forum in a google search.

My firefox just automatically updated to what I assume must be the 3rd version. I only know it updated because when I opened it yesterday it informed me and provided me with a list of all the incompatible add-ons... Yay.

Then I opened my bookmarks and was immediately irate. All the bookmarks I've made for probably the past 3 months are GONE. There were a LOT. I still have most of them but it's like I went back in time instead of gaining an improved browser.

I'm very upset with this and either want to revert back to the old version and get all my bookmarks back OR find my old bookmarks and re-bookmark them.

I went into my username/library/firefox/profiles/ where I found a folder called 'bookmarkbackups'. Only one file in there is .html, and it is NOT my old bookmarks but all the ones I'm currently left with. The other 4 files in there are .json and I have no idea how to open those. But they are also from the same day as the .html file so I assume they would read the same.

Help please.
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

macgig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 gigs ram | 10.6.8

bummer. this is why backups are important... unfortunately computers and software are not perfect. sometimes bad things happen.

hopefully you will learn from this... start backing files up before you lose data more important than bookmarks (they are relatively easy to replace).
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Sounds like it's a bug, I doubt just you are experiencing it. Firefox will probably have a patch shortly fixing this problem. Try to do some more research see if anyone else is having the same problem.

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.
QUOTE Thanks
InColdBlood

InColdBlood is on a distinguished road

No idea how to back up files. I have something called time machine on my computer but it doesn't' work or maybe it's me that can't figure it out, lol.

I sure hope it's a bug. I googled the problem and it seemed like others were having it too. I did what the other people suggested elsewhere and it didn't work for me - they possibly could have been on windows, though... not sure.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by InColdBlood View Post
No idea how to back up files. I have something called time machine on my computer but it doesn't' work or maybe it's me that can't figure it out, lol.

I sure hope it's a bug. I googled the problem and it seemed like others were having it too. I did what the other people suggested elsewhere and it didn't work for me - they possibly could have been on windows, though... not sure.
It's pretty easy to make backups of your bookmarks. You just go under bookmarks and export them. Then you have a backup of all your bookmarks. I do this every once in awhile because on my PC my bookmarks disappear every so often for no reason, in the older version of Firefox.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hiding Applications in App Folder | Lyrics Application »