New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

can't find installer.app

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wickface

wickface is on a distinguished road

I have a PowerPC G5, with an OS X 10.3.9. I got it from my dad's office (long story). For some reason it does not have an installer.app in the utilities folder. I've looked all over the hard drive and found nothing. I don't have any of the start up disk. I was wondering what i could do to get it. Ive look online and havent found a thing. Please help. thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Who told you look for Installer.app? Also, what exactly do you need such a program for?

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
wickface

wickface is on a distinguished road

i cant install anything. When ever I open a dmg file, there is only pkg files. There is no installer.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

in any application's dmg file you should either have an app that can be dragged to your applications folder or an installer. you won't have an installer app on your mac - the installer will come inside the dmg.

what exactly are you trying to install?

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
in any application's dmg file you should either have an app that can be dragged to your applications folder or an installer. you won't have an installer app on your mac - the installer will come inside the dmg.

what exactly are you trying to install?
You do, it's called installer.app. Except it's not in the Utilities folder in 10.5, though I think that's where it lives in previous versions of OS X. It does the installing for those apps that you can't just copy and paste and some other stuff... for want of a better way of explaining. There was a thread a while ago where somebody couldn't install things because it'd vanished.

QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

Found it. But it's not much help...
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

have you still got the restore disks for that mac, installer app will be on that
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i stand corrected.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
i stand corrected.
LOL! I only noticed it cos it comes up when you get info on some things - it's the app they open with.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IRC Botnet? on Mac | freemacware.com »