New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Buddies not showing up in iChat...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NickRubino

NickRubino is on a distinguished road

OK, so I just moved into my new house up at school. Its my fraternity house, but there is 17 other people living here. There are a few other Mac's in the house but no one can help me.

My iChat will load go through Connecting... and then say available, but will only show my buddy list categories and not the buddies. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't. Why is this doing this? Please help!! (Mac OS X 10.5.4)

8GB iPhone 3G

iBook G4 - 14'', 1.33Ghz, 1.25GB RAM, 60GB HD
QUOTE Thanks
Spork

Spork can only hope to improve

I know its a dumb question but best things to do are to get the basics out of the way...Did you click the arrow to drop down all your buddies? (left hand side)
QUOTE Thanks
NickRubino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
I know its a dumb question but best things to do are to get the basics out of the way...Did you click the arrow to drop down all your buddies? (left hand side)
Yes sir, I did. Like I said, sometimes they show up and others they dont. It's weird, but until they show up it doesn't recognize me as online.

8GB iPhone 3G

QUOTE Thanks
Spork

Spork can only hope to improve

Hmmm...My buddy had difficulty the first time he bought his mac and his problems were around the same exact ones you had. I'll send him a text and see if he has an answer for me.

[edit] - I'm sorry he wasn't much help. He said all he did was reformat about a week into having his mac and completely forgot about the ichat problem but it's fixed now and I assume it's from the reformat.

I'll see if I can find any help on this issue with the intarwebz lol.

[edit 2]
Came across this on mac-forums

Quote:
I was having the problem many were complaining about where the icq user always appearing offline and thus I could not reply to im's from that person. After some more poking around on apple discussions I found out that this might have something to do with the buddy being blocked. I looked at the buddies in my ichat using the icq number to log in and it turns out that the entire buddy list was blocked, (buddy meny --> block user was checked). I don't know why. After unblocking the entire buddy list, which I had to do one by one, I didn't have the problem and the icq user showed up as available and online in my ichat using an aim screen name.

[edit 3] Also if you feel like not reformatting or the other quote doesn't help out. If you would like to re-install iChat this should help you out.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=1486891
QUOTE Thanks
NickRubino

The iBook that I bought did not come with system restore or reformatting disks. Is there a way I can get them to restore/reformat? How much?

8GB iPhone 3G

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MS Office problems....help for a new iMac owner | Help- itunes won't open »