New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Spore Install

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

crazedwombats

crazedwombats is on a distinguished road

I have a GMA 950 Macbook and was looking to install Spore on my windows partition using bootcamp since it wont work on the OS X side of life. My problem is I have a small partition size and only have 2.5 GB remaining on the windows partition. So I was thinking that I have an 8GB Jump Drive that is relatively empty and would fit the game. I tried this with the creature creator and everything worked fine. I know of the DRM issues with spore and would only be playing the game on my computer even though it would be portable.

Is it possible for me to install the game this way?
Would there be any downsides?
Would plugging in the jump drive into other computers (for small file storage), but NOT playing the game, cause any issues with the DRM?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Are you sure it won't work on the OS X side? I was looking at it the other day in Target and noticed that all of the discs said "Mac / PC", indicating that the disc came with both versions.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
crazedwombats

crazedwombats is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Are you sure it won't work on the OS X side? I was looking at it the other day in Target and noticed that all of the discs said "Mac / PC", indicating that the disc came with both versions.
Yeah, the reason it wont work isn't due to the operating system, its due to the GMA 950 graphics chipset. For spore to work on OS X it requires a higher graphics setup:

ATI X1600 or NVidia 7300 GT with 128 MB of Video RAM, or Intel Integrated GMA X3100

But the GMA 950 will work if your installing it on windows. Which is very frustrating...
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedwombats View Post
Yeah, the reason it wont work isn't due to the operating system, its due to the GMA 950 graphics chipset. For spore to work on OS X it requires a higher graphics setup:

ATI X1600 or NVidia 7300 GT with 128 MB of Video RAM, or Intel Integrated GMA X3100

But the GMA 950 will work if your installing it on windows. Which is very frustrating...
Huh. That is interesting, thanks for filling me in. Sorry I don't have any advice to offer you as I don't own the game (yet). Hopefully someone else can chime in here.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Office 2004 word dictionary not available | Mozilla/Safari/Internet Problem »