New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Microsoft Office 2008

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GoGeoGo

GoGeoGo is on a distinguished road

I have installed Microsoft Office 2008 in my recently purchased Macbook Pro. It has ran well for about a week. When i tried to open word to write a paper last night it opened, stayed for a second and then closed out. A message then popped up that said "Microsoft word has encountered a problem and needs to close." It does this for every application that has come with Microsoft office. I have updated word up to version 12.1.2 and it stays up longer but still closes out after 3 seconds at most. And i have done all of the system updates as well and it still happends. Woudl it work if i uninstalled it and then re installed it in my computer? I bought it through my school, and can only be "installed once" does that for ever, or just can only be installed on one computer.

any help would be great because i need to write a lot of papers in college haha
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

That's what I would try. I think the single install reference pertains to installing that particular copy on more than one machine.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc
QUOTE Thanks
00dave

00dave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGeoGo View Post
I have installed Microsoft Office 2008 in my recently purchased Macbook Pro. It has ran well for about a week. When i tried to open word to write a paper last night it opened, stayed for a second and then closed out. A message then popped up that said "Microsoft word has encountered a problem and needs to close." It does this for every application that has come with Microsoft office. I have updated word up to version 12.1.2 and it stays up longer but still closes out after 3 seconds at most. And i have done all of the system updates as well and it still happends. Woudl it work if i uninstalled it and then re installed it in my computer? I bought it through my school, and can only be "installed once" does that for ever, or just can only be installed on one computer.

any help would be great because i need to write a lot of papers in college haha
Not sure if this is the same issue, but I’m using Mac OS X 10.5.6 and after a recent Office update I had some problems with Excel.

Using mac office 2008 when I tried to open any excel file, or start from scratch, I got, “microsoft excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.”

After searching several forums I came across this nugget:
Have you tried quitting all Office apps then throwing away your Office and Excel preferences:
~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Excel.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.office.plist

Since I was having issues with Excel, I threw just the Excel file away, and when I started Excel again, bingo it worked! No idea why, just did.

Your problem may be fixed, but thought I'd post this for those that may be up at 3 am ready to type that paper or work on that spreadsheet and looking for an answer.
QUOTE Thanks
KSIDDIQ`

KSIDDIQ` is on a distinguished road

This worked for me beautifully ! After months of seeing Exel crash randomly and then 100% I was so frustrated. I reinstalled from disk and still the problem remained. Finally deleted ~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Excel.plist and it worked. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00dave View Post
Not sure if this is the same issue, but I’m using Mac OS X 10.5.6 and after a recent Office update I had some problems with Excel.

Using mac office 2008 when I tried to open any excel file, or start from scratch, I got, “microsoft excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.”

After searching several forums I came across this nugget:
Have you tried quitting all Office apps then throwing away your Office and Excel preferences:
~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Excel.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.office.plist

Since I was having issues with Excel, I threw just the Excel file away, and when I started Excel again, bingo it worked! No idea why, just did.

Your problem may be fixed, but thought I'd post this for those that may be up at 3 am ready to type that paper or work on that spreadsheet and looking for an answer.
QUOTE Thanks
danipoak

danipoak is on a distinguished road

I found Office 2008 and 2011 to be buggy piles of junk as far as software goes so you might temporarily solve a problem but more will inevitably pop up. If updating to newer software isn't an option you might try the Office web apps. They are free to use and offer what seems like 90% of the functionality of their desktop counterparts. You'll get the most recent software this way as well and won't have problems opening files created in newer versions.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You might have found MS Office buggy (just your opinion) but for many of us who have been using both the Mac and Windows versions for years, it's been rock steady. I use MS Office 2011 almost every day for my work and it has never failed me.
QUOTE Thanks
danipoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
You might have found MS Office buggy (just your opinion) but for many of us who have been using both the Mac and Windows versions for years, it's been rock steady. I use MS Office 2011 almost every day for my work and it has never failed me.
You are very lucky then because the internet is ripe with complaints about these kind of force quit problems. Office 2016 has been a leaps and bounds improvement on OSX but still not quite up to what its Windows counterpart is. It was so bad for me I actually wound up learning LaTeX for writing documents and doing 90% of my computational stuff in Python. I'll open up a Google Sheet if I need some quick and dirty calculations in spreadsheet form. The 2016 version has allowed me to move some of my stuff back into Word though.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Mavericks) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Maver

@danipoak

I have to agree with chscag. I have been using Microsoft Office for Mac since its first appearance, through all its iterations up to and including the latest update to the 2011 version. At a rough guess, I have prepared around 400 lectures on PowerPoint, and use Word on a daily basis. Not once has the product failed me. And working with numerous colleagues with the whole range of Macs, my experience has been echoed by theirs.

Currently, Office 2016 version is only available to those with a 365 subscription, but a stand alone version is promised for September for those of us with Office 2011. Reports from testers and users suggests that the Mac version is very much closer to the Windows experience.

Ian

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWT View Post
Currently, Office 2016 version is only available to those with a 365 subscription, but a stand alone version is promised for September for those of us with Office 2011.
Let's hope the Office team uses that time to patch it. I've been using it since it became available (365 user here) and it needs some QA love. In fact, just today, things started discolouring and the entire ribbon went white.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.4

And I also agree. Office is the best suite available.

Removing the ,plist files solves many problems. Also I choose never to migrate Office, remove from old machine and do a clean install and update seems to work the best.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
danipoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWT View Post
@danipoak

I have to agree with chscag. I have been using Microsoft Office for Mac since its first appearance, through all its iterations up to and including the latest update to the 2011 version. At a rough guess, I have prepared around 400 lectures on PowerPoint, and use Word on a daily basis. Not once has the product failed me. And working with numerous colleagues with the whole range of Macs, my experience has been echoed by theirs.

Currently, Office 2016 version is only available to those with a 365 subscription, but a stand alone version is promised for September for those of us with Office 2011. Reports from testers and users suggests that the Mac version is very much closer to the Windows experience.

Ian
It is much, much closer to the Windows version which is great. I've only had it crash on me twice. Once during the preview release and once in the last week with the final release. I have noticed problems on documents created on older versions of office being opened up in 2016 and using exorbitant amounts of CPU which might have lead to the crash. Just today I was editing one that took up 70% of my CPU.

Office is rather stable for everyday uses and I can echo the stability in that regard. It does have problems for some power users though which is where much of my usage is. Editing 100+ page documents is a nightmare. I found it difficult for documents over 50 pages even. Excel tends to work well as long as the data sets don't get too large. Powerpoint I really never had problems with other than not liking the UI. I'm more attached to Keynote for presentations.

I was merely echoing the OPs problems of crashing and trying to offer a solution that worked for me. I apologize for insulting MS Office in the process.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was merely echoing the OPs problems of crashing and trying to offer a solution that worked for me. I apologize for insulting MS Office in the process.
LOL, you don't have to apologize for that. Goodness knows how many times I bad-mouthed something from Microsoft. I'll be interested in hearing about how well users are liking Windows 10 after the disaster called Windows 8.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

I have no real opinion on MS 2016 as of yet, but I'm wondering about the wisdom of using Office 2008 on a "recently-purchased" MacBook Pro that is presumably running Yosemite. I was unaware that would even work at all. Certainly the OP should (if available) upgrade to Office 2011, but while that problem is being worked on I would suggest downloading LibreOffice as a temporary substitute.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
I have no real opinion on MS 2016 as of yet, but I'm wondering about the wisdom of using Office 2008 on a "recently-purchased" MacBook Pro that is presumably running Yosemite.
Better get a new set of readers chas. That post you referred to was from 2008.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Doh! Caught by a zombie thread again!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Privacy Scan? | Language translation »