New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

PowerBook - Transfer from PC to PwerBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

onetouchchewi

onetouchchewi is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have a question that I'm hoping one of you will be able to help me with. Basically, I have a PC and a PowerBook. I currently have all my iTunes library and all my music on my PC and I'm not really using my PowerBook. Ideally, I would like to use my PowerBook as my music player. Now the question: Is there any easy way of transfering all my music from my PC to my Mac? It is quite a lot and the prospect of burnign one million DVD's doesn't really appeal to me...
Any ideas???
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Are you on a network

Otherwise get an external enclosure and use that to put the PC drive in
QUOTE Thanks
onetouchchewi

Sounds like a good idea but I'm afraid it doesn't really mean anything to me...
QUOTE Thanks
onetouchchewi

Any chance you could ellaborate???
QUOTE Thanks
onetouchchewi

And no...I'm not on a network...
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

If both computers have ethernet do this

Go to a computer store and buy an ethernet crossover cable - make sure its a crossover cable not a standard one

connect the two machines directly

If the powerbook has OS X go to system preferences > Sharing > and turn on windows file sharing

make a note of the macs SMB address

Go to your windows PC and connect to the mac (it will appear as a windows hare on the PCs network)

connect and transfer the files to the mac
QUOTE Thanks
onetouchchewi

BRILLIANT!!!! Thanks man...Will try asap!!!
QUOTE Thanks
onetouchchewi

Hi...so I've bought a crossover cable, and I can see the pc in my mac network places but can't connect. Same on the pc. the mac kind of shows up if i click view workgroup computers, but i can't connect.
Can you talk me through what i have do to? I feel I'm sooo close to connecting but can't get the final step...thanks!!!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

what version of os x are you using
QUOTE Thanks
onetouchchewi

It says Version 10.4.6
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

before we go any further download the 10.4.11 combo update and install it, that may solve the sharing problem, but at least your tiger version will be the latest

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...updateppc.html
QUOTE Thanks
onetouchchewi

Wicked...doing that now.
QUOTE Thanks
onetouchchewi

Done...
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

Can the PD connect to the mac now, you should be using your macs shortname from your user account and your mac password to connect
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes Music | Reading with VoiceOver »