New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Massive Files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kingofnothing

Kingofnothing is on a distinguished road

Hi, my girlfriend and I are currently states away in college and she needs a 12.6 GB file that is currently on my HD. I would pack up everything and send her an external HD but the post office will be closed until monday and she's getting hit by tropical storm hannah (i doubt she'll get the mail delivered anytime soon). SO, my question is, what's the easiest way to transfer a 12.5 GB file over the internet? Is that even worth trying? If we can get it sent in <24 hours i'll be happy. I'm not really afraid of insane DL times :-P
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Set up your mac as an FTP server, might take a while tho, depending on your internet speed and hers

FTP services can be enabled in the sharing preferences

is that large file compressible, what sort of file is it?

You can also use Pure FTP so that you are not sharing your whole home folder over the internet

http://jeanmatthieu.free.fr/pureftpd/
QUOTE Thanks
Kingofnothing

It's the warhammer online beta client. I've successfully downloaded it on my xp partition (i'm using a 25 GB FAT? partition) we can both access our pc partitions from the mac side so i was going to try to send her the complete client on the mac side and then she can just drag and drop the file into windows.
QUOTE Thanks
Kingofnothing

if you can link me a good compression utility i'd love you forever, the default finder utility just compresses one of the files within the file. (obviously does me no good what-so-ever)
QUOTE Thanks
Kingofnothing

i really don't know what i'm doing with your program HELP! >.<
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Sorry, I am on Tiger and you are using Leopard

Try this link

http://lifehacker.com/software/mac-o...ing-317033.php

lok at the part that says

Quote:
Select "File Sharing" to share any folder on your Mac with custom permissions based on user. When you hit the Options button, set the sharing protocol (AFP, Samba Windows Sharing, or FTP.)
as for compression, right click on the file or folder and select archive item, this will create a zip file
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Importing Windows Mobile cal to iCal | iCal problems »