New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Pages or Word?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

knitchick07

knitchick07 is on a distinguished road

I'm about to purchase a Macbook. I've been a pc user all my life, but with all the problems I've had due to viruses, and how irritating Vista is, I'm ready for a change. The only real concern I have about switching is having a decent word processor. I just started college and will need to start writing papers soon. I also use Word a lot for my own personal writing. I have done some research on both iWork and Office 2008 for Mac, and am leaning towards iWork based on reviews for both products and price. But, is Pages sufficient for writing long papers with formatting (MLA in particular, for anyone in college who knows what that is)? Or should I get Office for Word? And does Pages have a good spell checker (something I absolutely need)?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

word may well be easier for citing, but my wife still writes her papers in pages. Then again, when I was in college I used *gasp* a typewriter and occasionally word perfect (when I was lucky enough)

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

This has kinda been covered in this thread

iwork 08. should I buy it?

I would basically say give the free 30 day trial a go, if you like iWork after that then go with it
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

If you're a college student then I would highly recommend iWork. For one, Pages has over 150 built in templates - almost everyone you can imagine. The only downside to iWork is that PC users can't read or open your files if emailed or transferred to their computer. So if you need to do cross conferencing with people who have PC's, you might want Office 08. But in the end, for creativity, I would highly recommend using iWork, it's also great for Numbers and Keynote.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

PCs cannot read or open your files?

That is bit misleading all iwork apps can save to Office formats to exchange files with PC users
QUOTE Thanks
knitchick07

knitchick07 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I think I'll give iWork a try! I'm always battling with Word anyway. And Keynote sounds especially awesome.
QUOTE Thanks
DoneDeal

DoneDeal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard, iPhone 3GS

Pages has the best templates ever, no more suffering with Adobe to make a simple brochure for school. I have it and love it. Tested it with Office files and all opened fine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Word For Mac Endnotes Problem | iAlertu/Lockdown Remote Help »