New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Can't open Direct Mail software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gemma

Gemma is on a distinguished road

I am on an iMac with OS X 10.3.9. Some time ago I downloaded the trial version of a mail management program called Direct Mail. I decided I liked it and wanted to purchase a license for the full version of the software, but I noticed on the company's website there was a newer version available to download. I think my trial version was 1.8.something and the new version is Direct Mail 2.1.4. I thought it would be best to have the latest version when I purchased the license, so I put the old version in my trash (and then emptied my trash).

I clicked to download Direct Mail 2.1.4, but although the software appeared to download and the icon appeared on my desktop, I do not seem to be able to open the software. When I double click on the icon, it pops up on the tool bar, but the program does not launch and the icon immediately disappears from the toolbar. To check whether it was a problem with the software itself, I then tried downloading it onto my Macbook Pro OS X 10.4.11, which had never had the original version of the software on at all. It installed just fine and works perfectly.

Can anyone help me? I'm guessing it is something to do with the fact that I had the previous version on my iMac and deleted it.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Do a search for directmail and delete the prefs file

com.ernieware.directmail.plist

delete it
QUOTE Thanks
Gemma

Gemma is on a distinguished road

Blimey, how embarrassing. As it turns out my computer is now too old and decrepid to run the new version of the software! That's all it comes down to. It's not compatible with OS X 10.3.9. There I was thinking it was caused by something complicated and technical, but in fact it's just because my Mac is now deigned crap.

It's really quite upsetting how quickly they become outdated isn't it? When I bought it, it could practically fly you to the moon in comparison to everything else on the market, but apparently it's now so rubbish no-one can be bothered to write software for it anymore, ha ha ha!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

JUst update to Tiger, IMO its better and faster than Panther, you can pick up retail copies of Tiger on eBay, just make sure they are retail copies, not the machine specific grey restore disks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Final Cut Studio 2 Question | iMovie Help »