Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1

    Simnol's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 12, 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    9
    Specs:
    G4 800MHz PowerPC, 768 MB SDRAM, 10.4.11.
    Steam on Mabook Pro help?
    Here's my set up.
    Currently typing this on my dads old G4 Powerbook which is a brilliant machine and I whole heartedly appreciate its greatness, on top of this the computer next to me (currently streaming an episode of Stargate Atlantis) is an older G4 iMac (the cabbage). This however presents a problem as neither of these can even stand up to my gaming rig.

    My situation is this, up until last week I had a windows rig for gaming (8800gts 320, 3gig ram, 1TB HDD) and it was terrific. However I suddenly realised I'd need a new laptop for college which I start on the 4th of September; so I went on eBay and bought a Macbook Pro (2.5 Ghz latest model), but I also want to be able to run my steam client on the Macbook pro.

    Upon doing some research I discovered Crossover, which seems like a good idea but i'm not too sure about the fact the steam games only have a silver rating on crossovers website.

    My question is : Is it worth getting crossover or sticking to the ever so tedious bootcamp with Windows XP.

    Mac user, because bugs fly in through open Windows.

    P.S. I'm a re-convinced switcher. I completely skipped the G5's and the first Intels because they seemed pathetic so i went to windows. With the greatly awaited integration of nVidia's eight thousand series I decided it was time to go back to my roots.

    Hi www.mac-forums.com pleased to be back.

  2. #2

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,872
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Simnol View Post
    Here's my set up.
    Currently typing this on my dads old G4 Powerbook which is a brilliant machine and I whole heartedly appreciate its greatness, on top of this the computer next to me (currently streaming an episode of Stargate Atlantis) is an older G4 iMac (the cabbage). This however presents a problem as neither of these can even stand up to my gaming rig.

    My situation is this, up until last week I had a windows rig for gaming (8800gts 320, 3gig ram, 1TB HDD) and it was terrific. However I suddenly realised I'd need a new laptop for college which I start on the 4th of September; so I went on eBay and bought a Macbook Pro (2.5 Ghz latest model), but I also want to be able to run my steam client on the Macbook pro.

    Upon doing some research I discovered Crossover, which seems like a good idea but i'm not too sure about the fact the steam games only have a silver rating on crossovers website.
    Crossover is pretty shaky. It uses WINE, which is sort of like an API translation layer. Many applications will run on it, but I wouldn't want to game with it.

    If you want to run Steam, just install Windows in Boot Camp. HL2, Portal and COD3 all run beautifully on my machine.

    My question is : Is it worth getting crossover or sticking to the ever so tedious bootcamp with Windows XP.

    Mac user, because bugs fly in through open Windows.

    P.S. I'm a re-convinced switcher. I completely skipped the G5's and the first Intels because they seemed pathetic so i went to windows. With the greatly awaited integration of nVidia's eight thousand series I decided it was time to go back to my roots.

    Hi www.mac-forums.com pleased to be back.
    Welcome. Boot Camp really isn't so tedious. It's a breeze to install and the drivers are now very mature.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  3. #3

    Simnol's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 12, 2008
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    9
    Specs:
    G4 800MHz PowerPC, 768 MB SDRAM, 10.4.11.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    If you want to run Steam, just install Windows in Boot Camp. HL2, Portal and COD3 all run beautifully on my machine.
    You mentioned these three, have you used CS:S or Cod4? Because these are the two I would most like to run.

    Also is the machine you're talking about your 15" Macbook?

  4. #4

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,872
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Simnol View Post
    You mentioned these three, have you used CS:S or Cod4? Because these are the two I would most like to run.

    Also is the machine you're talking about your 15" Macbook?
    Sorry, I meant to say COD4, 3 was only for the consoles. I don't run CS:S because I'm not big into multiplayer stuff, but considering that everything else that runs on the Source engine works great, I can't imagine it would be any different.

    Yes, I'm referring to my MacBook Pro (Penryn C2D 2.4, 4GB, 8600GT/512).
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. mabook not booting
    By quiteso87 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-24-2014, 06:00 PM
  2. Mabook Battery issue
    By spikedup in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 11:14 AM
  3. OS X + Steam. Can you play any games from steam?
    By johnkhan in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-16-2009, 05:40 PM
  4. Steam
    By bettencourt in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-27-2008, 02:24 PM
  5. Which mabook pro to buy????
    By glparrish078 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-31-2007, 09:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •