New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

k i am sorry i know this is asked a billion times but i need more opininons

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

matt.coolbrown

matt.coolbrown is an unknown at this point

i am going to college rutgers and what is better iwork2008 or office 2008 plAEAS HELP ME my collge eduacton depends on it lol
QUOTE Thanks
jeantr

jeantr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD

We bought iLife with our new iMac, and it's done everything Office has done on our old XP machine. As far as I know, it saves documents and works back and forth between Office

Google is a good buddy
QUOTE Thanks
krolewna.agata@

krolewna.agata@ is on a distinguished road

i think they both work perfectly fine. however to save yourself from headache becuse you will have enough in school i suggest office because you will most likely be working with the on campus computer which are all windows. same fronts same everything. hope it helps.
QUOTE Thanks
podraig

podraig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G

Look, save yourself some money, get Neo Office, http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php
its compatible with the others and free and has all you need to work with

Mac is like a car, keep clean and up to date and it will give you many hours of good driving
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeantr View Post
We bought iLife with our new iMac, and it's done everything Office has done on our old XP machine. As far as I know, it saves documents and works back and forth between Office
iLife is software to deal with movies, images, websites, etc.. i believe you are referring to iwork (pages, keynote, numbers)

i would get office. neooffice is a nice subtitute. but i do think that when it comes to professional documents, nothing beats office.

i have tried neooffice, office, iwork, and several other applications (including abiword) and nothing has been as efficient or useful as ms word.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I own iWork 2008 and love it for the basic work I do, BUT for you there at College I would suggest Microsoft Office. I would bet they use it there at your school and there will be no compatibility issues to get in the way if you stick with Microsoft. There is NeoOffice for free like was mentioned, but again I recommend Office for your situation.

Like you said "College education depends on it" and for that reason, go with Office.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Hey, a fellow Rutgers student!! Go Scarlet Knights!!

I say just get yourself a copy of Office. It'll make your life a lot easier when sharing documents or submitting them online (a lot of Rutgers professors have started online submissions for papers).

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

I own iWork, I have Office (windows version running on Xp/Fusion) but i use NeoOffice. I'm trying to learn Pages and Numbers (honest) but when I'm in a hurry NeoOffice seems more intuitive and more like Office. It has it's frustrations and I still haven't properly fathomed out mail merge with either of the mac products but apart from that all are good products. NeoOffice is free of course.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
idsamdg

idsamdg is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac, macbook, iphone4S, ipad2

I agree with the chaps above - pages is great for more page layout type documents and sure gives you polished results but for sheer compatibility and ease then for for office. You don't need to buy the latest version either. I use the latest one but my wife uses the last version of office for mac and it works just fine. You can save yourself a tonne of money that way.

-IDSAMDG

iMessage me: bryanwagneradair@me.com
QUOTE Thanks
DoneDeal

DoneDeal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro w/ Snow Leopard, iPhone 3GS

Well, I've ordered iWork and everyone I've asked says it runs fine with Office in terms of exporting and reading documents/spreadsheets etc. If you want to be safe, get Office.
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

matt.coolbrown,

If you decide to get Office 2008, you need to know it does not contain Outlook. Instead, there is comparable program called Entourage (you might want to check that out if you use Outlook). But it does have Power Point, which may be useful for your presentations in college.

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Office 2008, Student Edition. There are many features in Word that really help with writing college papers, especially the citation and sources manager which is completely absent in iWork.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
Office 2008, Student Edition. There are many features in Word that really help with writing college papers, especially the citation and sources manager which is completely absent in iWork.
That is the the number one reason as to why a college student should get Office. The citation tool is a godsend when you're writing papers. There are a ton of other small features that make Office simply the better choice for college students.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I agree with all of the above. That Office is probably the best idea for what you are after. But personally I don't like the layout of word so much and how it does things. So when I have to use word, I just type things up in appleworks and then import them into word. Works for me fine. Well that's if you can find appleworks for cheap. You should be able to at various places.

Btw if you are wanting to use Appleworks on 10.5 You'll need to read this thread I made.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...395#post560395
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Office 2008. All you need is one lecturer who will not accept work in any format other than Word to cause all sorts of stress.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Financial Management Software for Canada | VoIP Discount »