Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Apps and Games (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/)
-   -   iWork or Office Home and Student? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/120971-iwork-office-home-student.html)

DoneDeal 08-24-2008 09:27 AM

iWork or Office Home and Student?

I can't decide on which one. I know iWork is cheaper, but I here it's worse. I've also heard Excel is unuseable. Opinions?

And please try not be be biased toward iWork.

skaheadpunk 08-24-2008 10:01 AM

I have both...

iWork I just had to get used to after using office since I first used a computer. I prefer Numbers to Excel, but mostly because of the layout and tables, etc, though I hear it hasn't got all the functions of excel (I haven't found anything I needed wasn't there yet but I don't do anything complicated). Pages... just isn't the same as Word, but I use it more because it seems to run better (and my MS Work documents currently have a PC virus which I keep sending to people!). Keynote I've never used, and I've used Powerpoint about twice... so no grounds for comparison there.

Just thought - I'm using Office 2004. I tried 2008 on a PC and absolutely hated it, don't know how different it is on Mac.

DoneDeal 08-24-2008 10:18 AM

Thanks for your input. I'm still confused though, did you prefer Pages or Word?

And also, can iWork read documents from Word 03/04 because my school still has those.

skaheadpunk 08-24-2008 10:21 AM

I think I prefer Word really. I know iWork can read from Mac Word 2004, cos I switch between the two, not sure about PCs but I image it would.

A lot of this stuff depends on how much you use it and what for.

DoneDeal 08-24-2008 10:35 AM

I'll mostly be using Pages/Word to take notes in school or look at word documents on the teachers websites which I will need to download and view. Well, if pages works with word 03/04 then I think that's it then since it's cheaper and doesn't have word compatibility problems.

I'm sure Numbers and Keynote are fine too. I don't think Keynote will be used too much, but numbers will be used for biology I'm sure.

If anyone else has input please post and thanks, skaheadpunk.

skaheadpunk 08-24-2008 10:39 AM

Having given it some thought, if you're mostly working with PCs and whatnot, it might just be easier to get Office 2004 - which you could probably pick up pretty cheap on ebay or something if budget is an issue.

Didn't you get an iWork trial with you MacBook? Ooops, found one online here. Give it a go, if you don't like it stick with Office :).

DoneDeal 08-24-2008 10:42 AM

I won't be working with PC's at all, I'll bring my laptop to school most days (most high schoolers do). The only place I'll use a PC is the library or computer applications class. Hey, maybe they'll surprise me and use macs. :)

I'll give the Trial a go, and if I really don't like it then it's Office 08.

skaheadpunk 08-24-2008 10:44 AM

Good plan :). Hope you enjoy the new term!

AlexSL1 08-24-2008 01:36 PM

I-work is much better, becasue it looks
so nice, it makes writing an essay, or
making a presentation almost enjoyable.
I-Work 08 IS FULLY Compatible with Ms
Offie files aswell, so no problems there.

DoneDeal 08-24-2008 02:58 PM

Just ordered it on Amazon for $62 and free shipping. Will take 5-9 days, not too bad.