New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Firefox 3 opens maximized

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

soundshaper

soundshaper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5 Dual 2.5 | 6 GB OCZ Platinum | RME HDSP9652

For some reason no matter how I close the app, Firefox 3 opens fully expanded every time. I searched for a preference to change to no avail. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundshaper View Post
For some reason no matter how I close the app, Firefox 3 opens fully expanded every time. I searched for a preference to change to no avail. Any ideas?
Umm, by "fully expanded" do you mean it occupies the whole screen area of your monitor?

If so, try this (if you haven't already) ... next time you've finished using FFox, and BEFORE you quit it, resize the window to what you want, and in the screen position you want. Quit FFox. Open FFox, see if it adopts the position it was in upon quitting. Whilst I'm not using FF 3, I've found that the FF2 'remembers' the last window setting used.

The only preference that might deal with what you're asking could be in Prefs > General > Startup > When Firefox starts > choose Show my Windows & Tabs from last time.
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

soundshaper,

hughvane is correct. I'm using FF3 and just closed it to check it out. Resize FF3 to the size you want it to be, then close it down. When you re-open it, that's the size it will open to.

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
ekologik

ekologik is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel (unibody), 2 GB RAM; iPhone 3Gs

if you have more than one FF window open, make sure the last one you close is set to the size you want it.

MacBook
iPhone 3Gs
QUOTE Thanks
WigglyWoo

WigglyWoo is on a distinguished road

I'm getting the same problem; I closed Firefox when maximised and now every time I start Firefox it always starts filling the whole screen, very annoying. I've tried deleting the plist file, no difference. I've tried resizing the window before quitting Firefox, no difference. Firefox just wants to always open full screen - how do I stop it?

Am tempted to uninstall and start again but would rather avoid the hassle of having to reload all the add-ons again...
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

WigglyWoo,

Only one way to do it - resize it to the size you want, then close it down. It should open at the same size that you closed it. If it doesn't, you may need to run Onyx or MainMenu and perhaps run maintenance scripts, repair permissions and clear caches, etc. May help if your FF is cranky...

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
WigglyWoo

WigglyWoo is on a distinguished road

Found the answer - just use Time Machine to reinstate an older version of Library/Application Support/Firefox folder.....

This contains all your prefs (rather than the usual plist) and is the easiest way to wind back the clock. I keep forgetting about the usefulness of Time Machine
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

WigglyWoo,

If TM fixed the problem, that tells me you made some changes along the way that changed the way FF3 acted and TM recorded how it worked before those changes...

In any case, I'm glad you got it fixed. All's well that ends well.

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
soundshaper

Thanks everyone. I'll have to try the TM trick when I get back into my studio (traveling right now). I did, of course, try resizing before closing on many occasions but that didn't work. But even if the TM trick works, is there another way? I mean, do we know what's causing it?

PS - It's not THAT annoying, really.
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

soundshaper,

Could be any number of maintenance glitches that occur with Macs. If you keep your machine "tuned up" with Onyx or MainMenu, that shouldn't happened... I don't know how much maintenance contributes to the solution, but mine has been purring along for 6 months, and FF3 still opens the way I close it...

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
soundshaper

I've never used Onyx, but I make sure to run Ice Clean occasionally to clean things up. My system is very very healthy, and less than two months old. Like I said, not a big deal. But I would love to know exactly what causes this problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

soundshaper,

If you're that concerned, you could do iterative checks using TM (open TM at one point, then again at another close point, check FF3's action at each point and find out where it changed its way of opening) and see if you can isolate what you did between successive intervals. Lots of work and could be confusing, but it could give you a lead...

Noel
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« downloading issue | Safari and iCal help »