New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iMac - Listen to streaming - HOW TO ???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rexbaum

rexbaum is on a distinguished road

Just bought my iMac desktop, and before I go further........ I am more than pleased. I thought my macbook was cool!!!

I just can seem to figure out what plugin I need to listen to streaming audio on a radio station to offers it! Anyone that can help be out would be awesome!

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

it'll depend on the stream, I listen to many on itunes Coruse, then there's pandora... that's simply on the web.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbaum View Post
Just bought my iMac desktop ... I just can seem to figure out what plugin I need to listen to streaming audio on a radio station to offers it!
What audio player are you trying to use?

RealPlayer requires its own codecs or plugins, but like DF says, iTunes should handle most streaming audio. Once you've found your favorite radio station's weblink, and if it's not in the set provided by iTunes, you can add it to iTunes.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Yep, often times it'll list a mp3 stream.. those add quite nicely to itunes.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I am having the same issue here. I have a local station's weblink to stream it.

http://208.96.14.149/973fm

But I van't seem to get it to work in itunes. It will appear in there as a stream but nothing will play. And also the link will play in safari but not firefox. Strange. Would anyone know of what I am doing wrong here or how this is done?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
I am having the same issue here. I have a local station's weblink to stream it. http://208.96.14.149/973fm
But I can't seem to get it to work in itunes. Would anyone know of what I am doing wrong here or how this is done?
You're not doing anything wrong. iTunes supports .mp3 and the streaming format from that Brisbane radio station is .asf. I'd suggest contacting the radio station at http://www.973fm.com.au/ to see if they have a workaround for iTunes. I think I saw somewhere that the latest version of iTunes allows importing of different audio formats, but you'd need to verify that. A Google search for the streaming audio issue found several items of interest http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=

And this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=133320
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I thought that was the case. Thanks for the info. I'll contact the station to see what they can do for me in this regard. It's just s phone call away as they are my local station.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
I thought that was the case. Thanks for the info. I'll contact the station to see what they can do for me in this regard. It's just s phone call away as they are my local station.
How have you got on with this issue? I'm currently working on HOW to use Flip4Mac-Quicktime to convert .wma streaming audio.

In Firefox 3 > Prefs > Applications you can choose (see att. - all credit to Doctor X), but I'm still using FF2. Maybe I should update but I understand FF3 is meant for Leopard, and that some of the FF2 add-ons no longer work with FF3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg attachment.jpeg (2.9 KB, 14 views)
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

Update: found this for anyone interested ... Mike's Radio World - Listen live online to over 5000 radio stations
Strangely, those that show the Windows Media Player symbol just seem to work okay with Mac, providing (I assume) you have WMP app installed. Or maybe it's Flip4Mac doing its thing. I'm still using FFox 2 btw. The radio control shows up as just a single player line, similar to Quicktime. What's best though is that I have now found the solution to my issue regarding streaming radio. I hope it helps others as well.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

Found a neat little streaming radio player app called FStream. FStream 1.4.1 - MacUpdate You can record from it too, great for that special number that takes your fancy. Its only limitation seems to be only one station at a time, so you can't put your favorites in a list and toggle amongst them - or at least I haven't found out how. Great to be able to toggle when the cursed, invasive ads are playing.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Icon | iChat Trouble - timing out. »