New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

File splitter for OSx & WINxp?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

johumhum

johumhum is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667MHZ DDR2 SDRAM, Mac OS X v10.5.2

Hello,
I have Windows XP on my Mac using BootCamp. I used the NTSF format and wish I had done the FAT32 as I can not share files from my OSX to WINxp. I need to move a 9.5 GB file using a 4GP thumb drive. My question is: is there a program out there, preferable free of course, that can split large files into smaller sizes that can be used in both OSx and WINxp?

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.

JoHumHum?
johumhum

johumhum is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667MHZ DDR2 SDRAM, Mac OS X v10.5.2

Found one! Posting it here so as to help others who might be in search of such a program. Called SimplyRAR and I downloaded it from
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Compres...implyRAR.shtml

UI is simple with not too many options. In fact the only thing I could really get some options out of is the menu bar of icons. Not really all that useful but all-in-all the program .RARs files and I can split them up too.

Thanks all!

JoHumHum?
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

FAT32 has a max single file size of <4gb so you wouldn't have been able to move such a big file anyway.

You may wish to consider installing Paragon NTFS(commercial) or MacFUSE and NTFS-3G (free).

That way OSX will be able to read/write your NTFS (XP) partition.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I use split and contact.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~loekjehe/Split&Concat/

And though the site says it isn't so stable on 10.5, I've used it on that system for ages with no issues whatsoever. The only thing is the maximum partition size is 1999MB. But that doesn't matter as you can split up the file into as many parts as you want. So I would recommend this.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« rmvb to avi or dvd | Civilization 3 won't work on MacBook? »