Does x-plane 9 really need 60 gb...?
    I was looking into x-plane 9 for my MacBook, but was amazed to see the 60 gb space requirement! I understand why (well, I'm assuming it's terrain and scenery...), but am wondering if that's the minimum space requriement or if there's an option to install only certain terrain and therefore take up less space.

My hard drive is 140 or 160 gb I think (I'm not at home right now...), and I have about 60 gb or so partitioned for windows XP and a bunch of windows based flight sims. So, that only leaves me with 80-100 gigs for the mac side, and after music and pictures there won't be enough left for x-plane...

Thanks!

Specs:
    Macbook 2.4Ghz
    I believe only if you want all maps

Quote Originally Posted by Hit View Post
    I believe only if you want all maps
    Can anyone confirm this? And how much an installation will take up with maybe only a few terrains?

I just checked and I've only got ~40gb on my Mac partition and <20gb left on the windows, so even if I re-partitioned to max out the space on the mac partition, there still wouldn't be enough space without having to delete something...

Thanks!

I'm thinking about trying x-plane 9 on my MacBook again, however, this time running in XP through boot camp. My MacBook is a 2.2 ghz, 1 GB RAM, Intel GMA X3100 (yeah, sucky X3100).

The demo ran with acceptable frame rates with most settings on low-ish. If I upgrade to 4MB RAM (which I can do for about $40), can I expect to see any improvement in X-plane performance?

I may upgrade RAM anyway, but I'm just curious...

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    The folks at X-Plane specifically recommend NOT running it on a machine that uses integrated graphics. If you're going to load Windows anyway, just buy a copy of MS Flight Simulator which will run fairly well on the GMA 3100. Adding another 2 GB of memory may give some improvement to overall performance, but realistically X-Plane needs the fastest graphics you can throw at it.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    The folks at X-Plane specifically recommend NOT running it on a machine that uses integrated graphics. If you're going to load Windows anyway, just buy a copy of MS Flight Simulator which will run fairly well on the GMA 3100. Adding another 2 GB of memory may give some improvement to overall performance, but realistically X-Plane needs the fastest graphics you can throw at it.

Regards.
    Are you referring to FS 2004? I assume so, since FSX gives me even worse results than x-plane. I was already thinking of trying to grab FS 2004, and I just wanted to give x-plan another try first...

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by malibu434343 View Post
    I was looking into x-plane 9 for my MacBook, but was amazed to see the 60 gb space requirement!
    Where are you getting this information from?

Per the X-Plane Website, the specs are as follows:
    X-Plane version 9 requires a computer with at least the following specifications:

* A 2 GHz processor
    * 1.0 GB RAM (physical memory)
    * 64 MB VRAM (video memory on your video card)
    * 10 GB of hard drive space

The simulator will run on Mac OS X version 10.4 or later, Windows XP, Vista, or 7 (32- and 64-bit), and Linux. Note that when using Windows Vista and Windows 7, it is recommended that at least 2 GB of RAM be used.

X-Plane will run on any of the Macs available from Apple.com.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    From what I have seen by doing a quick search, you need 60GB if you do a complete install including all the scenery. The specs listed by D3v1L80Y may be for a default install.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    D3v1L80Y is correct about system requirements, I just checked their website for the latest version (9). Previously, however, they had stated X-Plane will not perform well with an integrated graphics chip such as the Intel GMA X3100 and very specifically recommended dedicated graphics.

Which is the reason I stated to the OP to run MS FS instead. The OP is likewise correct in that MS FSX will not run well at all on the GMA X3100, however, FS 2004 will. I know, because I have a copy of FS 2004.

As for the hard drive space required, that I can not say for sure. But I would think if they say it takes up 60 GB, that it would include all the scenery, maps, layouts, themes, and so forth. I have no idea if their installation allows a custom install of only certain items.

Regards.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    According to this review, "It also has full virtual-cockpits and 60GB of scenery spanning the world." So, if you install all the scenery, you will need 60GB of space.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    I wonder if anyone has noticed that in order to use X-Plane 9 after it's completely installed, that you must keep DVD # 1 inserted in the optical drive?

Kind of reminds me of the older DOS games that required the original disk be kept in the drive as a way to avoid copying or piracy.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    D3v1L80Y is correct about system requirements, I just checked their website for the latest version (9). Previously, however, they had stated X-Plane will not perform well with an integrated graphics chip such as the Intel GMA X3100 and very specifically recommended dedicated graphics.

Which is the reason I stated to the OP to run MS FS instead. The OP is likewise correct in that MS FSX will not run well at all on the GMA X3100, however, FS 2004 will. I know, because I have a copy of FS 2004.

As for the hard drive space required, that I can not say for sure. But I would think if they say it takes up 60 GB, that it would include all the scenery, maps, layouts, themes, and so forth. I have no idea if their installation allows a custom install of only certain items.

Regards.
    Are you running FS2004 with an X3100 or something similar? If so, would mind giving me some specifics on the performance (what fps at what settings)?

thanks.

Specs:
    Are you running FS2004 with an X3100 or something similar? If so, would mind giving me some specifics on the performance (what fps at what settings)?
    I'm no longer running Windows on this machine (waiting for Windows 7). But at the time I did have it going in a separate Boot Camp partition, it ran well. The 3D rendering seemed OK and the frame rate was satisfactory. I also have a Windows desktop with a much more powerful nVidia card that it ran on, and to be truthful, I could not tell the difference. (And yes, my MacBook uses the Intel GMA X3100 graphics chipset.)

Sorry, I don't remember the specifics or settings, but I believe you'll be satisfied with running FS 2004 on your machine.

BTW, the more I read about X-Plane, the less I like it. Especially the part about having to keep install DVD # 1 in the optical drive at all times to run the simulator.

Regards.

Thread Information