New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Lost all bookmarks on firefox, help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ILoveMyMacbook

ILoveMyMacbook is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: white Macbook, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 120GB hard drive

Ok, I probably something really dumb and I don't know how to fix it, but I had so many bookmarks on my firefox that there's no way I could manually get them all back if I can't restore them somehow.

I wanted to install FF3, so I did. I noticed that I still have the old FF in the applications folder, so I moved it to the trash. I have AppTrap, so it asked me if I wanted to move all files to the trash, too, and I didn't think and said yes.

When I restarted FF3, all my bookmarks were gone.

I have TimeMachine, and I haven't emptied the trash yet, so I'm hoping there is hope for my bookmarks. I just don't know where to look for them.

I tried to restore FF from TimeMachine, but it gave me FF2 without my bookmarks, so I'm guessing that the BMs were saved somewhere else and that I need to find them to restore. Am I right? Does anyone know in what folder they're usually saved?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks!

White MacBook (see specs), switched in Dec 2007 and I've been in love ever since!
QUOTE Thanks
ILoveMyMacbook

ILoveMyMacbook is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: white Macbook, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 120GB hard drive

I fixed it!
I'm so happy now. lol

I restored the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox and now my bookmarks are back!

Hurray for TimeMachine!

I hope no one does the same mistake I did, hopefully this thread will be of some help.

White MacBook (see specs), switched in Dec 2007 and I've been in love ever since!
QUOTE Thanks
koandco

koandco is on a distinguished road

I did as everyone suggested. I went into Library, applications support / Firefox / profile and restored from 2 dates to make sure. Now It didn't "import" or restore my super important bookmarks.

I lost my bookmarks because of a stupid error message was saying "You can't open Firefox because a copy is already open" so I went and deleted Firefox.

Anyway. Is the reason Time Machine not working because it's on a exterior hard drive ?

Please help. I'd love to find everything as it was.

Hurray! UPDATE:
I was so furious it wasn't working when it seemed to be working for you. So...
1) I decided to first get rid of all Firefox on my iMac. Including extensions, add-ons, profiles, backups etc....(on both my iMac and my mobile hard drive).
2) I restarted.
3) I entered Time Machine
4) I went as far as I could go (at the risk of lacking a few weeks bookmarks) - we,re April 23, I went 10 days in the past.
5) I restored the application / Firefox to the DESKTOP (otherwise it reassembles from a back up folder)
6) I restored the Library/applications support / Firefox to the DESKTOP
7) I opened Firefox - it didn't work
8) I transfered everything back to its right place The app in the app folder. The Library /Firefox to the Library
9) I opened Firefox and it sent an error message : oups this is embarrassing, we've lost your ...
10) IMP: when it ask you:L start new session or restore, press Restore.
11) Voilà. extreme sighs of relief.

I hope this will help for other people too.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Onyx causing problems? | Office 2011 install time keeps increasing »