quicktime problems. new mac user
    i have mac os x 10.3.9 on a g3 ibook. i downloaded and installed VLC to watch movies, but i kept getting "macosx: QT doesn't support any appropriate chroma" messages whenever i played any movie. i did a search online and determined that i needed to reinstall quicktime. i had 7.5 installed, i thought i uninstalled programs by dragging them from the applications to the trash, so i did that but now i cant install 7.5 because it says that its not the right version for my computer, and i cant install an earlier version because the hd is dimmed because there is a newer version on my computer.

i have no idea what to do. i want to completely uninstall quicktime and start over but i cannot figure out what im doing. any help is appreciated. thanks.

Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.10 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    You need Perian, but it's not available for 10.3.9 unfortunately. And Quicktime 7.5 does work with Panther. To uninstall something completely, use AppClean or CleanApp. But check they work with Panther, or Google for some other Uninstaller prog.

When you want to watch a QT movie, R-click its icon and choose Open With, and then select VLC. Or Get Info for the movie file and select Open With > VLC. Trouble is, the old G3 processor doesn't handle movies all that well unless you've quit all other applications and have plenty of RAM.

Lake Mary, Florida
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    NOTE: Moved to more appropriate forum.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Thread Information