Is this possible with boot camp?
    I have a 10gb partition on my main drive already and because it's already partitioned I can't use the boot camp installer. Is it possible to just assign this 10 gb partition to boot camp?

Anyone?

Specs:
    Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
    Josh,

You have to use the Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows, so if it won't accept that partition, just erase it and start over with the Assistant. Print and read the pdf file called Installation & Setup Guide on the first page of the Assistant. It's 25 pages long and really necessary to follow carefully to get a successful installation of Windows. Go to Applications>Utilities and find the Boot Camp Assistant.app and there's your Guide.

Good luck, Noel

I don't want to reinstall os x just for bootcamp, surerly there's another way?

Specs:
    MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
    No you can use the Boot Camp Assistant to restore the whole hard drive to 1 OS X partition without affecting your OS X installation. Then if you want a different sized partition for windows, you go into the Boot Camp Assistant and select the amount of HD space you want for windows.
    -Zach, A.C.T.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh-H View Post
    I don't want to reinstall os x just for bootcamp, surerly there's another way?
    Josh,

I wasn't suggesting that you re-install OS X, sorry if I wasn't clear. You can go to Disk Utility and select the Windows partition and just delete it there, then start over with the Boot Camp Assistant. Erasing the Windows partition won't delete Boot Camp...

But Rich's solution is better, so try it...

Noel

Ah sorry, how do I do that though as when I start the bootcamp assistant I get this:

http://www.grabup.com/uploads/5446fe...0187f6375d.png

The other partition I have on the hard drive is NOT a boot camp partition. I created it when installing os x.
    Edit: I've just found out leopard allows me to repartition drives without reformatting! Only took me 9 months to find that out

Edit2: Now I'm getting this error: http://www.grabup.com/uploads/0b3a47...ee4f8bdf46.png

Specs:
    Josh,

Your last error tells me that you have some files scattered over your hard drive (fragmented files). Do what the dialog tells you to do. As follows: Backup your entire OS X partition on an external drive using a bootable backup program like SuperDuper. Then you can erase your entire internal hard drive and re-format it - you now have a clean, formatted hard drive. Now restore the backup to your hard drive. That will eliminate those fragmented files that can't be moved (they're on your backup and will be un-fragmented when the restore takes place). After the restore you'll end up with a single OS X partition on your hard drive (no fragmented files now) and then you can start all over again with Boot Camp. Whew... Notice, I said the same thing the dialog box said, but it took me longer

Noel

After some searching I've found out that defragmenting my hard drive using iDefrag would give me the same result. So i'll try that first.

Thread Information