New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

My Mac does not download torrents nearl as fast as my Windows PC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

overgrowntroll

overgrowntroll is on a distinguished road

On my pc i am using utorrent 1.6. I have opened the correct ports using portforward.com and the status is 'ok' and i get really fast speeds of upto 800kbs. I can sometimes download films in 20 minutes!!!

On my mac i am using Vuze, formerly known as Azureus 3.1.1.0.

Interestingly, on the Azurues official website, the latest version is 3.1.0.0. http://www.azureus.com/

BUT, on the Vuze official website, the latest version is 3.1.1.0, my current one. http://www.vuze.com/app

If i am lucky, i will get a MAX of 30kbs on a torrent and will have to wait days, sometimes even weeks to complete a download! My internet browsing is fast, just not the torrents. I have tried using several other clients like transmission and bittorrent, but i prefer Azureus.

Can someone please tell me WHAT PORTS i need to forward for Azureus to get decent speeds? If someone knows of a site to help or knows themselves that would be great!!! It really is ridiculous, I cant find anything on the net to help me, and i cant find a detailed guide on how to create a static ip on my mac with 10.5 Leopard!!
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

I have usually achieved over 200kbs with Transmission. not as much as 800, i know..

But the more i have used Transmission the faster my DLs got. The first day I got Transmission, my uploads and downloads didnt even reach 100kbs.

QUOTE Thanks
overgrowntroll

I have tried using Transmission, and the torrents wouldnt even start downloading. I tred loads of other torrents just to make sure they weren't dead. I even tried using torrents i had already downloaded through Azureus but nothing. The same thing happened with bittorrent. At least Azurues downloads something.

I wonder if utorrent will ever come to mac?

I'd just like to know what ports i need to forward with azureus. Even if anyone knows what ports to forward for transmission or bittorrent i will tri it?!!!

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by overgrowntroll View Post
I have tried using Transmission, and the torrents wouldnt even start downloading. I tred loads of other torrents just to make sure they weren't dead. I even tried using torrents i had already downloaded through Azureus but nothing. The same thing happened with bittorrent. At least Azurues downloads something.

I wonder if utorrent will ever come to mac?
I use Transmission myself, though I must concede Azureus is markedly faster despite having tweaked Transmission as best I can. I just hate Azureus' interface. You could try running uTorrent under Crossover. It has a Gold (flawless) compatibility ranking by a few of its advocates. YMMV. In fact, I might try it myself.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
overgrowntroll

OK, i have forwarded port 6881 on Azureus and i have the green smiley face, and the NAT tes says its OK. However, on the torrents page, all my downloads an SOME uploads are now saying " Error (POrt 6881 Is Blacklisted) on the tracker status.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this my ISP blocking the port or what? HELP PLEASE

THANKS
QUOTE Thanks
Kramer610

Kramer610 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac with 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2600 256 MB

Try forwarding another port.
QUOTE Thanks
awg0020

awg0020 is on a distinguished road

I've been using Transmission for some time now and today I hit a little over 600kb. I just chose a random port, and made sure it was forwarded on the router.
QUOTE Thanks
lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am is a jewel in the roughlifeafter2am is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Unibody

I really don't get this at all. I have used Transmission from day one and regularly pull over 800kb. I didn't do any tweaking, nothing, put the file in there and off it goes.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am
QUOTE Thanks
upmysleeves

upmysleeves is on a distinguished road

I'm having trouble doing the port forwarding. I have to enter my IP, which is the static IP I created, the one close to my router's IP. Then if I go on a site to check what my IP is, like http://whatismyipaddress.com/, it says it's 67.68.107.77, which is way far from what I created. Is it possible that this is an IP address given to me by my ISP? Because after doing all the steps to forward the port with Transmission, I still get the red dot saying Port is closed. I tried to enter the IP that the site said I had in my router, but it didn't work.

Details: Wireless router= D-Link DIR-615
Macbook OS 10.4.11 (Tiger)
Transmission v1.33 (6594)
ISP= Bell Canada
QUOTE Thanks
goxun

goxun is on a distinguished road

Hi guys. I was just checking some information for my torrent questions and found out this web page... registered and I'll be using it from now on for any of my questions and information about my mac....

I just downloaded Transmission 1.34 and tried out a really long electronic music set which is about 164 mb... I'll say I'm impressed with the speed. It's never gone under 1 mbps.Plus i didn't change anything in preference. I used to use Azurues but speed wasn't enough and it was going around between 100kb to 200kb so I stopped using it...

my system Macbook 2GHz core 2 Duo 1GB 667 Mhz DDr2
Mac OsX Version 10.4.11
Road Runner DSL internet connection....
QUOTE Thanks
adimrin

adimrin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook 2.4 Ghz

My roommates have HP laptops running vista. Using utorrent i get download speeds of around 27-29 Kbps max & upload around 15-20Kbps[loacated in india, bandwith expensive here, have a 256kpbs connection]

On my Mac using transmission I get download speed 10-15 Kbps MAX & upload of 10 -12Kbps
Using the recently released beta version of utorrent for mac gave the same result.

Downloading normally[not using torrents], say from rapidshare etc. gives me 25-28 Kbps on my Mac

I have my ports forwarded [green lights everywhere], not limited my up/down speed. Have enabled outgoing encryption etc...basically all the things advised to make torrents faster with no improvement. Could it be a problem with my Mac? Help plz...
QUOTE Thanks
datastream8

datastream8 is on a distinguished road

The exact same torrents would not even start or rarely go at extremely slow speeds with Bittorrent on my mac, and would download at fantastic speed on my PC. I thought there was something wrong with my mac. I reinstalled bittorrent several times and could not find of another app that would do the job until this forum!

Thank you for this post. I downloaded transmission here and it downloaded my first 10MB file in 2 seconds! Bottom line is it downloaded it! And I don't have to keep going to PC now. Very happy! Transmission also has all the details right there and I do not have to open a seperate window as with bittorent.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Advice on Drupal and Mac | Sinature application »