New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Help! At loss about Redirection

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Huntressdi

Huntressdi is on a distinguished road

I work on Mac G5 with OS 10.3.9 and I use firefox as my web-browser. Recently when I try to go on certain sites or click links on some sites, I keep being redirected to http://www.com.org. So I want to know if anyone has had this problem and what you did to solve it.

Is it a virus/spyware on the mac or is it the web-browser? Please help
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Do you have any ad-blocking add-ons, plug-ins, extensions, etc, installed on your system? My guess is its that or perhaps your hosts file. Hmmmm... could even be the router (if you are using one).

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Huntressdi

All the plug-ins and extensions that installed on my system belong to Firefox and this stuff only started happening recently. If it is in the hosts file how do I go about repairing it. As for the router, because of the nature of my work, I'm behind a firewall but that has never been a major problem
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Well, the easiest place to put a DNS redirect in would be your HOSTS file (as noted above). So, give that a check. Browse out to /private/etc/ and look for a file called "HOSTS". Open it with TextEdit. If it hasn't been altered, it should look like this:

Code:
##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1	localhost
255.255.255.255	broadcasthost
::1             localhost 
fe80::1%lo0	localhost

If there are additional entries in there below the last line, please cut and paste the content of the file back to this thread so we can take a look.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Huntressdi

Ok I'm learning mac as i go, so could you give me directions to open the hosts file in textedit?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, normally you would just browse out to the directory with Finder and double-click on the file, but since the directory is hidden, I don't know of any easy way to get to it using the Finder. Instead, I would just use the terminal and open it with pico (my preferred text editor).

Open Terminal (Applications => Utilities) and type the following:

Code:
pico /private/etc/hosts
...then hit Return and you should see the content of your HOSTS file. Copy and paste the text into a reply in this thread so we can inspect if for you.

Press Control-X to exit pico and then close the Terminal window.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Huntressdi

thank you and here is the info:

##
# Host Database
#
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Looks clean to me, so that's probably not where the problem stems from.

QUOTE Thanks
HeyYo

HeyYo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac|MacBook

could this be any of the plugins? i have the same problem, mine redirects me when using firefox and safari, its like this..

ill go search something in google

then this will happen everytime

QUOTE Thanks
rug01

rug01 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac mini 2GHz os 10.6.8

Having a similar problem, no matter what browser i use (safari,firefox,opera all latest versions) if i try to go to digg.com I get redirected to the dreaded
xpsecuritycenter. Tried downloading avast but found nothing. Found Hosts files looks like this.
GNU nano 2.0.1 File: /private/etc/hosts

##
# Host Database
#
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost

[ Read 10 lines ]
^G Get Help ^O WriteOut ^R Read File ^Y Prev Page ^K Cut Text ^C Cur Pos
^X Exit ^J Justify ^W Where Is ^V Next Page ^U UnCut Text^T To Spell

Any ideas??
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

Remove it from /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/plugins.settings- see http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/troj...schanger.shtml. I would also adjust the crontab as root.

Or, better yet, run this:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/33696

Avoid the websites that prompted you to download the false codec (which is what caused this).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Getting "xpsecuritycenterr.com" pop up in FF3 and Safari | What is purpose of "Window Group" in Terminal - seems to do nothing of significance »