New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Time Machine drive - Can I store some of my other files on it in another folder?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacBookMe!

MacBookMe! is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook

On my Time Machine drive, there is a folder called "Backup.backupdb", can I make another folder to put my personal krap in?

White MacBook - Early-2008 - Base Model
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Of course you can make a folder any time you please and put what you please in it. I doubt what you are asking though is that simplistic, so a little clarity on what exactly you want to do is needed.
QUOTE Thanks
MacBookMe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Of course you can make a folder any time you please and put what you please in it. I doubt what you are asking though is that simplistic, so a little clarity on what exactly you want to do is needed.
Sorry, I know it was a stupid question.
I just don't want to put a crapload of movies on it, then find out that Time Machine erased them

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBookMe! View Post
Sorry, I know it was a stupid question.
I just don't want to put a crapload of movies on it, then find out that Time Machine erased them
So you want to put a subfolder of your own making under Backup.backup.db? Hmmm... Well Time Machine eventually does erase older backups once disk space runs out, but I doubt it would erase a user-made folder in that root folder. To be safe though, I think I'd leave it alone and make your folder outside of TM's folder(s).

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
MacBookMe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
...a user-made folder in that root folder. To be safe though, I think I'd leave it alone and make your folder outside of TM's folder(s).
Sorry, I mean in the root directory of the TM drive.

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBookMe! View Post
Sorry, I mean in the root directory of the TM drive.
Oh yes.... you definitely can. I use mine for a larger repository of items besides the TM backups.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
rsphotocreation

rsphotocreation is on a distinguished road

Are you sure it will keep this folder safe? Cause right now I only use Time Capsule as a Wifi external drive... and I use an USB drive now and then for saving my iMac and MacBook Pro files on Time Machine.

And I would like to use Time Machine with Time Capsule for both my iMac and MBP and also some personal files in folder on my Time Capsule

Regards,
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You should be fine. Just don't put the folder inside the Time Machone backup. I have an external drive attached to my Time Capsule and it holds both the Time Machine backup and some other information. when the driv gets too full Time Machine will delete its oldest backup.

When backing up to the Time Capsule or a drive attached to its USB port, the backup is stored inside a sparsebundle file. One advantage to using an external drive attached to the Time Capsule is that when the drive is unplugged and directly connected to the Mac it can be seen and often repaired in Disk Utility.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Of course, anything you put on the TM drive will not be being backed up, so be aware of that.
QUOTE Thanks
rsphotocreation

So, if I decide to use my Time Capsule for the Time Machine of my iMac and MacBook Pro, I also can use my Time Capsule for copying personal files, let's say I create a folder called "movies", then if I copy some movies in the folder, they will be safe.

When Time Machine won't have enough space for backing up, it will erase its own files into the Time Machine folder, and it won't erase the folder I created?

Regards,
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

That's right.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
rsphotocreation

Thanks a lot
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Word close button greyed out. Help please. | Microsoft Outlook problem »