New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Cannot locate Canon MP600 drivers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ps130951

ps130951 is on a distinguished road

Hello All

I have just got myself a Macbook. This is the first time that I've ever used a mac and I must say I love ab LOVE it. The interface is so intuitive and the underlying Darwin/Unix shell is brilliant. There is however a little issue I seem to be having with installing printer drivers. I have a Canon MP600 MF printer. I connect to it via a wireless print server (linksys wps54g). This runs Appletalk so the printer is found on the network. I have downloaded the mac os drivers from the canon website and it installs with no issues. The problem is that I cannot select the driver from the list of installed drivers. The MP600 driver just doesn't show up even after installation/restart. I'm currently using the generic postscript driver and that works but gives limited funtionality. i have tried locating the drivers manually in Library and also under /usr/cups but nothing. I have done a root search for mp600 and it does find db files but no ppds or similar printer drivers. I would appreciate any assistance on this.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Which OS are you using (you don't say if it's a brand new Macbook)? Assuming it's Leopard, there have been a number of posts about printer driver incompatibility with that OS. You say you loaded the latest driver from Canon, but for which OS?

The path to the printer drivers is Finder > Go > Computer > Library > Printers > PPDs > Contents > Resources

Update and correction: the path above should read Finder > Go > Computer > Library > Preferences > Canon > BJPrinter (that had me foxed) > Device Info. However, there's nothing there called a Canon Printer Driver and there's nothing in the PPDS folder named Canon, so where it gets hidden is a mystery. It may in fact be an invisible file, in which case you need to Show Invisibles and for Leopard I don't know how to do that. I use FileBuddy with Panther and Tiger.
QUOTE Thanks
ps130951

Thanks for the reply. I am using mac os x 10.5 leopard. The drivers i downloaded from canon were for mac os 10.5. There is a Bjprinter directory as you have specified however there are no ppds in there. i shall try and find if the drivers are hidden but I would have thought these should be visible.
QUOTE Thanks
Sundownr01

Sundownr01 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.8GHz

I've got the same problem w/ 10.5... tried to install/uninstall a few different versions out there and no luck. Someone has to have figured this out by now.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Have either of you asked Canon Help where the driver gets stored, and what it's called? That could be a way to start.
QUOTE Thanks
ps130951

I've tried canon and linksys as well. They don't have a clue. All they can say is 'download the latest drivers from the website'. I'm currently using the MP500 driver that I suppose came bundled with the OS. These are working fine (even over wifi) but the fact that the MP600 dmg has installed something and it can't be located is a bit concerning.
QUOTE Thanks
skabeds

skabeds is on a distinguished road

I was having the same problem. After two hours of experimenting I some how got it to work. Here's what finally worked for me. After downloading, installing all drivers and restarting my macbook, which did get recognized, I plugged the printer directly into my macbook and added it. I made sure I could print from it then reconnected it back to my iMac. Deleted the printer profile from my macbook. Restarted my iMac and once it was booted the printer popped up on my list of available computer and everything was automatically filled in and I was instantly able to connect. MP600 connected to my iMac running 10.4. Macbook running 10.5 connected to MP600 via my iMac on wireless network.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

According to Apple Support Leopard drivers are included on the install DVD> To install drivers you need to select the 'options' or 'extras' folder, forget which, and run the installer. The driver is not installed automatically. here is a link to the Apple Support:-

Mac OS X 10.5: Included printer drivers
QUOTE Thanks
Pohal

Pohal is on a distinguished road

Trying to solve the missing Canon app mystery and came upon this forum -- all helpful suggestions, so am now comfortable that I am not the problem, although I am a new Mac user. (Very frustrating to realize that so much of what I need to do can't be done so easily on the Mac.) To topic: The MP600 printer driver is no problem for me but the scanner feature -- a separate install -- can't be found anywhere. Thanks for the link to Mac OS X 10.5: Included printer drivers. I found a clue in the article:
Some printer features might not be available
Bundled printer drivers and PPDs may not offer every feature of a printer, such as built-in faxing, scanning, or an optional sheet feeder. If your printer has a feature that is not available, contact the printer manufacturer for more information regarding the use of that feature. For example, the Apple LaserWriter 16/600 PS Fax printer driver allows many printing features, but not the built-in fax feature.

I called Canon but they are closed today! Will try again on Monday. Thinking it might be easier to get new hardware.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Canon- select Mac OS X in the drop down menu and both the scanner and printer drivers are there.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photoshop error problem parsing the pic. | Let autoupdate do its thing and now Word does not work »