New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Safari - *Cannot find Server*

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iBongzilla

iBongzilla is on a distinguished road

I bought a macbook off of a friend about 6 months ago, in which everything worked excellent. About a month ago safari started to give me a problem. Anytime that i would try to open up google or yahoo (two of the main search engines i use) it would always say the same thing:

Safari can’t open the page “http://www.google.com/” because it can’t find the server “www.google.com”.

or.

Safari can’t open the page “http://www.yahoo.com/” because it can’t find the server “www.yahoo.com”.

I first tried clearing cache, cookies, etc. and no dice.
Then i tried reseting safari in the menu which is essentually the same thing and of course didnt work.

I then downloaded Mozilla Firefox to see if it would open up the sites and still nothing. Do i try to uninstall/reinstall safari or did firefox single that out?

Im stumped....any ideas please help me out.

Also i am running Windows XP through Parallels and IE opens both google and yahoo no problem. Running OSX Leopard 10.5.4

Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
iBongzilla

Forgot to mention that basically ALL other sites open up without any problems.

Google and Yahoo are the only websites that i have run into that haven't been able to open.

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
TheTrueMoron

TheTrueMoron is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB Ram, LED HD display, 200GB 7200RPM HD, 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Macbook 2.4Ghz

I've been having this problem, too. My MBP and my mom's MB won't open certain pages. Sometimes it'll open a page if I refresh but sometimes not at all. I've tried everything you have and still no dice. It's weird because the message loads instantly like Safari doesn't even try to communicate with any server. It just loads that page out of laziness.

What's funny is that the first time I clicked to view this thread, it gave me that "Safari can't open the page" message...
QUOTE Thanks
iBongzilla

any ideas??
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

cat /etc/hosts

cat /etc/resolv.conf

that'll show you if there is anything unusual in your /etc/hosts file and what your name servers are.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
davidsword

davidsword is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13"/2.0Ghz/4GB/80GB/White Macbook

just use firefox.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsword View Post
just use firefox.
He said he tried Firefox and had the same problem.
QUOTE Thanks
macca75

macca75 is on a distinguished road

exactly the same problem for me too
QUOTE Thanks
Sitges46

Sitges46 is on a distinguished road

I am having the same problem with snow leopard. I can ping google or yahoo and the ping works, but when I try to use Safari or Firefox it can not find any server.

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBongzilla View Post
any ideas??
Quote:
Originally Posted by macca75 View Post
exactly the same problem for me too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitges46 View Post
I am having the same problem with snow leopard...
Any ideas?
Which Snow Leopard? First two: you didn't mention your OS.
Since 10.6.2 came out in the last 48 hours, maybe that would help. (?)
QUOTE Thanks
Thatzlife

Thatzlife is on a distinguished road

Im ready to take my macbook pro to the Apple store...
Every other site I go to, says Safari cant find the server...

WHAT THE heck!!!! whats going on!?!?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What are the specs on the MBP and which OSX is installed?

How are you connected to the internet? DSL/Cable? What router? Do other computers have issues? Have you only tried Safari or did you try another browser like Firefox or Chrome? Same issue?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MS Word 2011 freezing up new MBP Pro | Buying a second Mac - want to keep my stuff!! »