New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How to Move iTunes Music onto my USB Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bman

Bman will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook--2.4ghz--4gb RAM--250gb HD__iPod Touch 8gb

How to move my iTunes music on to my USB drive...how do i go about this...i dont want the whole library so im not going to export it...someone please help!! And i want the music to also stay on my hp and be on my macbook.

Black MacBook--2.4ghz--4gb RAM--250gb HD
iPod Touch 8gb
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

You just want to copy some of the music files onto it? Then just go to Music > iTunes > iTunes Music ....and select the albums/songs you want to copy and put them on the USB drive.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Keeping your iTunes collection on an external

The following assumes you want to keep all your iTunes music and movies on an external disk and ensure new music is always stored on the external drive.

First, you need to consolidate your iTunes Library to a folder you have chosen of the external drive.

Select the command consolidate library from the Advanced Menu. This will copy all your itunes media to the external folder and link the itunes library file to it

The files will now be on the external while the library.xml file (the index as it were) will still be in the Users > Me > Music folder of your mac.

If you want this file on the external as well as well, copy it to external iTunes folder, start itunes with the alt key pressed and you will have the option to select the library file now on the external

Select the library file you just copied and now both your music and the library are on the external

You can now delete the old Itunes folder off your mac

You can also use the choose library dialogue to switch between a large music collection on the external and a smaller music folder on the mac if you wish
QUOTE Thanks
Bman

louishen,

I am switching this from an HP pavilion to my new MacBook...does this matter or your instructions stay the same?

iPod Touch 8gb
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You may be best using the consolidate command from the HP

You will need to move the library file and link to it as well, I think the key for that is Shift on windows

Once the library and xml file are on that external, you can point the mac to the external library.xml file with the alt key on the mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Bman

ok thanks to everyone

iPod Touch 8gb
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac cd-rom software | application »