New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Issue with Office 2008 spellchecker

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fatboydim

Fatboydim is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

This is a strange one but I'm sure there must be a simple solution.

On some documents I create or import it seems the spellchecker stops working. There are words that I know and can see are misspelled but the spell checker isn't picking them up. Even if I click spell check now.

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

Fatboydim,

Perhaps it's your spell check preferences...

I just checked out my copy of 2008 - to set the spell checker, select Word (on the menu)/Preferences/Authoring & Proofing Tools/Spelling and Grammar and check the boxes you want the program to use. I have checked: "Check spelling as you type" and "Always suggest corrections." I have also checked the boxes in the second column. You can also select Grammar choices in the lower section.

Does this help?

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
Fatboydim

Unfortunately not. I had already tried those things. I've also tried deleting the custom dictionary and creating a new one and also changing the default language between English US and English UK.
QUOTE Thanks
Fatboydim

I've ended up manually removing all the Microsoft plist files etc etc from the Imac and then used Time Machine to restore. Impressed with Time Machine [as that seemed to cure the problem] but not with Microsoft [Now there's a surprise.]
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Fatboydim,

Something corrupted those files along the way. Good thing you had that back up. Also suggests for others that re-install is often the answer...

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Just an add on to this thread based on our experience...

The spelling custom dictionary in Office 2008 can easily be corrupted. I (foolishly) attempted to copy our custom dictionary from Office 2007 and paste into our custom dictionary in Office 2008. The result was an absolute mess and of course did not work.

After consulting with several of the very nice Microsoft volunteer MVPs who hang out in the Microsoft Mac Office forum, I was told that the copying process even if in plain text inserts unwanted characters which must be removed.

To make a long story short, we finally were able to transfer our very large custom dictionary from Office 2007 to 2008. It now works fine.

I like Office 2008 and recommend it, but in my opinion it has a way to go to come up to the quality of Office 2007.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Fatboydim

All seems to be working fine now.
QUOTE Thanks
Fatboydim

Spoke too soon. It's acting up again. Very very strange. It seems to work on some documents and not others. If I open up a new doc it doesn't work at all. I go to preferences and the grammar section is completely greyed out and I'm unable to change the settings at all. Even trying to reset to defaults does not work.
QUOTE Thanks
Fatboydim

Hopefully this time I have solved the issue. It's a language setting problem. For some reason - and I think it may have to do with cutting and pasting in some of my larger docs. The language settings change from English US to Irish and English UK in other cases. To get the functionality back simply select all - go to Language select relevant language and make sure that the check mark is cleared from the - do not check spelling and grammar box.

So not corrupted files just a peculiarity of the software. [because literally in some cases the language would change mid sentence - which is why I can only assume cutting and pasting may be the culprit.]
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Fatboydim,

That's wild, but good to know. Thanks for the feedback! Not sure it would make a difference, but I used a program called Monolingual to get rid of all the excess language files on my Macbook. Boy, were there a lot of them, and they took up a lot of wasted space... I did keep all my English files and English variants, so that probably wouldn't have helped the Office problem you had...

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
Fatboydim

Think I might try that monolingual. Thanks for that.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboydim View Post
Think I might try that monolingual. Thanks for that.
If you intend to use Office 2008, be aware that the removal of other languages by monolingual will cause Office 2008 to stop updating when service packs or other fixes are released.

I know, it's a pain in the *** but I just went through a whole bunch of madness with Office 2008 trying to find out why it would not install and update the latest service pack. The good MVP folks who post to the MS Mac Office forum have a knowledge article posted relating to the use of monolingual and updates to Office 2008.

The only way I was able to finally update Office was to completely remove it
and reinstall. A definite pain. Leave it to MS to make life difficult.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Fatboydim

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
If you intend to use Office 2008, be aware that the removal of other languages by monolingual will cause Office 2008 to stop updating when service packs or other fixes are released.

I know, it's a pain in the *** but I just went through a whole bunch of madness with Office 2008 trying to find out why it would not install and update the latest service pack. The good MVP folks who post to the MS Mac Office forum have a knowledge article posted relating to the use of monolingual and updates to Office 2008.

The only way I was able to finally update Office was to completely remove it
and reinstall. A definite pain. Leave it to MS to make life difficult.

Regards.
Think I'll leave it as it is then LOL - Thanks for the heads up.
QUOTE Thanks
lazypantha

lazypantha is on a distinguished road

Hi there, I'm a newbie and not very computer literate, so apologies. I have a MacBook Pro and a legit copy of Microsoft Office 2008. I have the same problem with the dictionary, but can't seem to get it sorted following any of the steps recommended. I haven't tried monolingual because i don't know how to do it or what it is really, and I'm loathed to remove anything without guidance in case i muck everything up. I use my computer every day and need it to function, so going solo feels a bit risky! I use online dictionaries at the moment but can't carry on this way much longer.

Is there anyone out there that may be able to talk me through a fix? Also, I'd really like a welsh dictionary to work - can you get them to run simultaneously? Apologies for any breeches in etiquette - please give me a heads up if i go wrong! I am well up for learning though - hopefully one day I'll be able to contribute!

Many thanks!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Roxio Toast Titanium 9 | What's happening with Torrent clients? »