New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

MacBook Pro - MAJOR issues in Safari.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chrisdistaulo

chrisdistaulo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 180 GB; iMac 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 160 GB; 30 GB iPod Video

one day after a software update, safari was unable to open up. it would bounce in the dock once, and then stop. the program hasn't opened up since. i downloaded firefox onto my mbp. from there, off of firefox i downloaded Safari. once i open up the dmg file it tries to install Safari, but when i choose my harddrive as the installation volume it says "You cannot install Safari on this volume. This update requires Mac OS X 10.5.2 or newer." even though im working off leopard... please help, firefox is terrible compared to Safari.

Best,
CDS
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 180 GB; iMac 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 160 GB; 30 GB iPod Video; 1st Generation iPod Nano
QUOTE Thanks
the.gosine

the.gosine is on a distinguished road

Genius Bar!
QUOTE Thanks
INTELligent

INTELligent can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Mac Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdistaulo View Post
one day after a software update, safari was unable to open up. it would bounce in the dock once, and then stop. the program hasn't opened up since. i downloaded firefox onto my mbp. from there, off of firefox i downloaded Safari. once i open up the dmg file it tries to install Safari, but when i choose my harddrive as the installation volume it says "You cannot install Safari on this volume. This update requires Mac OS X 10.5.2 or newer." even though im working off leopard... please help, firefox is terrible compared to Safari.
Safari is crap, plain and simple... And I am shocked by the fact that you think Firefox is worse. I wouldn't attempt to fix a problem for such a crappy piece of software..

Try Opera..

http://www.opera.com/download/index....=MacOS&local=y
QUOTE Thanks
kmkl

kmkl is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTELligent View Post
Safari is crap, plain and simple... And I am shocked by the fact that you think Firefox is worse. I wouldn't attempt to fix a problem for such a crappy piece of software..

Try Opera..

http://www.opera.com/download/index....=MacOS&local=y
@ Intelligent:There's nothing wrong with Safari, its a great lightweight browser, but when it doesn't work, the situation sucks. IMO Opera isn't that great... but I still have to use it about 30 minutes a week. Oh and it comes with Illustrator.

@ Chris: Could you maybe try downloading a new copy from Apple site?
Also, is there anything you might have moved around since you got your computer? OSes don't like things getting moved around, although Mac handles it better.
QUOTE Thanks
INTELligent

INTELligent can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Mac Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkl View Post
@ Intelligent:There's nothing wrong with Safari, its a great lightweight browser, but when it doesn't work, the situation sucks. IMO Opera isn't that great... but I still have to use it about 30 minutes a week. Oh and it comes with Illustrator.
Oh yeah, and when does it work?
QUOTE Thanks
chrisdistaulo

chrisdistaulo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 180 GB; iMac 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 160 GB; 30 GB iPod Video

great help kmkl, i havent had a lot of advice on the subject. do you mean try to download a new copy of Safari? I have, but alas, it didn't work. i dont think i did but maybe i deleted a plist or something by accident. im using firefox and it really doesnt compare to Safari.

Best,
CDS
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 180 GB; iMac 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 160 GB; 30 GB iPod Video; 1st Generation iPod Nano
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Download and install the OS X 10.5.4 combo updater. It should put the Safari that comes with it in your Applications folder. As for Safari's ability as a browser, I think it's certainly better than Firefox 2 but not quite as good as Firefox 3. And it's nice and light/speedy, though Safari 3 started doing strange things with RAM usage. It's not a piece of crap by any means, and it ALWAYS works for me. And, for the record, the Safari 4 preview is still the only web browser that can pass every criterion of the Acid 3 test as far as I know, making it more standards-compliant than Opera or Firefox.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Snap windows to edges & other windows | Seriously Need Help - Mail »