New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Permissions Problem After Install (Myst IV)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zanytomato

zanytomato is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone,

I finally got around to installing Myst IV (yeah, I know, I'm a little behind-- I work too hard, or something ;-) ).

Anyhow, installation appeared to go smoothly, but on attempting to run the game I'm getting a permissions error:

18/06/08 12:45:42 PM com.apple.launchd[120] ([0x0-0x43043].com.ubisoft.myst4[387]) posix_spawnp("/Ubisoft/MystIV/myst4.app/myst4", ...): Permission denied

I've check the permissions set on the game file itself, as well as the surrounding folders (namely my HD, and Applications)-- everything has correct permissions. Just to check, I even upgraded permissions so that everyone had read/write access temporarily (I'm the sole user of this machine, so it's not a big concern for me). Is there somewhere else I should be looking? Is there an easier way to check aside from rifling through everything to figure out what it accesses (which confuses me anyway, because the permissions should be set-- I'm the admin user)?

I also removed and reinstalled, just in case, but that did not work either.

I'm running 10.5.3. Let me know if other information would be helpful...

TIA.

*Sniff* I finally get a day off, and I can't play...
QUOTE Thanks
zanytomato

zanytomato is on a distinguished road

W00t-- figured it out.

Went via Terminal and into the directory (I didn't realize that the game icon itself represented a directory in actual fact)-- I set the permissions using chmod and all is well! Not sure why they were set properly on install, but at least it works now.
QUOTE Thanks
thull

thull is on a distinguished road

The install appears to run perfectly, but when I double-click to launch the icon briefly appears on the tray, then disappears and nothing else happens. Please help.
QUOTE Thanks
nepomuk

nepomuk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thull View Post
The install appears to run perfectly, but when I double-click to launch the icon briefly appears on the tray, then disappears and nothing else happens. Please help.
I also would be very keen on resolving this problem as it occurs also to me. But nobody seems to bother anymore.
QUOTE Thanks
vbakke

vbakke is on a distinguished road

Probably too late for you, but if anyone else finds this thread, the solution is posted on Code znips: Myst IV does not start on Mac OS X (Permission denied)

Basically:
Start 'Terminal'
Go to your install folder. For example:
cd /Applications/Ubisoft/MystIV/myst4.app

Make the file executable:
chmod +x myst4

Start Myst IV!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cleaning Mac OSX | WoW players - Should I get a external hard drive »