New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Snow Leopard 10.6, will this be the chance for apple getting into the gaming market

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hal515

hal515 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2.16 CPU/2GB RAM

I according to what I read at Apple's website, there was something there that said Open CL which lets developers get inside of the GPU.

Could this bring about more games to the mac?

What are some of your guys thoughts.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

The lack of games on the Mac has nothing to do with Apple but rather has to do with games developers and them being tied to Microsoft's DirectX. Apple can add in all sorts of technologies, but until games developers switch to the more universal OpenGL, don't expect gaming to improve on either Macs or Linux.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
but until games developers switch to the more universal OpenGL, don't expect gaming to improve on either Macs or Linux.
OpenGL is dead, it's all about Core Image and Core Animation now.

QUOTE Thanks
Xer

Xer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac Aluminum 24", MacBook White

Don't forget, It's hard for the gaming industry to develop games for Mac cuz the users just can't upgrade their video cards (not relating to Mac Pro).

I mean, if u got an iMac now with Radeon HD 2600XT, in 1.5 years the new games will just run bad on it...

Unlike PC where gamers can just upgrade their video cards whenever they want.

Erez
QUOTE Thanks
Tauron

Tauron can only hope to improve

Actually no. Games could run find on the Mac. Just buy the mac you can afford and nice games for it and be happy.

The reason why PCs dominate games is because they are cheaper, period. It is hard to justify $1500 and WAY up for a Mac with a custom GPU to run games. But it is easy to justify $600 for a PC to play games.

Today, I would say the niches are more or less as follows:

- PC: kids and young adults who want to play games and do the occasional homework
- Mac: professionals who need serious efficiency and productivity at work
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Wow, talk about an incorrect generalization....

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
L3G0M4N1A

L3G0M4N1A is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauron View Post
Actually no. Games could run find on the Mac. Just buy the mac you can afford and nice games for it and be happy.

The reason why PCs dominate games is because they are cheaper, period. It is hard to justify $1500 and WAY up for a Mac with a custom GPU to run games. But it is easy to justify $600 for a PC to play games.

Today, I would say the niches are more or less as follows:

- PC: kids and young adults who want to play games and do the occasional homework
- Mac: professionals who need serious efficiency and productivity at work
I agree with your first 2 points but the generalizations you made about "niches" are just totally off. More college students, young adults, and people who actually pay for their own hardware are switching to Macs being that Vista is the worst operating system ever created. I would GUESS that even younger kids are telling their parents that they would rather have a Mac too.

Gaming wise EA has been putting out all of their games on Mac. Blizzard, arguably the best computer gaming company ever, will always release their games for Mac. The only problem is you have to order all the games online or you have to go to the Apple store for a good selection because Best Buy does not have a great selection =P
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Wow, talk about an incorrect generalization....
yeah.. o.O

QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

Jobs said that SL would just include improved security and OS stability. Yes, the CPU being able to access and use the GPU was also said to be in SL.

I don't know why games has to be brought up all the time.

SORRY for double posting =[

QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer View Post
Don't forget, It's hard for the gaming industry to develop games for Mac cuz the users just can't upgrade their video cards (not relating to Mac Pro).

I mean, if u got an iMac now with Radeon HD 2600XT, in 1.5 years the new games will just run bad on it...

Unlike PC where gamers can just upgrade their video cards whenever they want.
True this. But look at the video gaming market. Each Nintendo or Xbox released is rather unupgradable but that hasn't stopped game developers from making games for them. It just means they have to think of more ways of utilising the system they are developing for. And the average video game system lasts for a few years at least before a new one replaces it.

I think the computer game developers need to stop making games with the best systems in mind and target their games towards the average computer people have. Then they'd get a lot more sales. And I'm sure with a little code development they could squeeze good games into those quite good still (but not the best) computers.

And also I think we're forgetting the casual gaming market. Most of these games will run on a integrated graphics card. But some of the newer ones are really innovative.

I think they are forgetting the golden here. "Try to work smarter and not harder." And get the computers who will be running the games to do the same.
QUOTE Thanks
Tauron

Tauron can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3G0M4N1A View Post
I agree with your first 2 points but the generalizations you made about "niches" are just totally off. More college students, young adults, and people who actually pay for their own hardware are switching to Macs being that Vista is the worst operating system ever created. I would GUESS that even younger kids are telling their parents that they would rather have a Mac too.

Gaming wise EA has been putting out all of their games on Mac. Blizzard, arguably the best computer gaming company ever, will always release their games for Mac. The only problem is you have to order all the games online or you have to go to the Apple store for a good selection because Best Buy does not have a great selection =P
You may be correct there. With Vista it became that much harder to swallow PC's and their bull**** windows environment.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photoshop CS3 - advice appreciated | Bootcamp - how to.... »