Backup program for external hard drive?
    I was wondering what people were recommending as a program that would let me backup my files that are on an external hard drive since time machine only backs up the internal drive. Any suggestions?

Specs:
    Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
    Time machine is, of course, a backup using an external HDD. So what I read you saying is you want to back up the time Machine backup? Or are you talking about some other files on an external HDD? If it's the latter, you may want a separate backup program like SuperDuper (see below) and back up directly between external hard drives using the OS X Disk Utility.

Alternate suggestion for internal drive backups. I have one external USB drive using Time Machine to do a backup of my internal hard drive and I have a second external USB drive using SuperDuper to also back up my internal drive. I run each of them every couple of days, that way I always have a backup for each of my backups...

So I'm using duplicate backups by using different backup programs - for protection in case one bombs I think that is what you really want, but I may be wrong. I'm not sure how you would be able to actually back up your Time Machine backup.

BTW, SuperDuper is a great backup program and you can download it free for basic bootable backups. If you want to schedule it, you'd need to buy the full version for $27.95 at http://shirtpocket.com/.

Noel

Specs:
    Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
    http://shirtpocket.com/,

After thinking over your question a little more, it seems you would have to plug in 2 external HDDs into your Mac at the same time to have one be able to do a backup of the other. If you were, for example, to plug 2 USB HDDs into your Mac, they would then be able to see each other through the navigation panes on your backup program. Then you could back up either way...

Is this what you're looking for?

Noel

Thread Information