New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Where in "Users" folder would Firefox bookmarks be stored?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacNewbie

MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

im trying to unload data off of a dying harddrive and need to find my bookmarks for safari and mozilla where would i look for them?

i cant find them in the users folder?

pls help
QUOTE Thanks
cuhnool

cuhnool is a jewel in the roughcuhnool is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

⌘+Spacebar

enter in the bar "Bookmarks"

Spotlight should locate the "Bookmarks" folder.

when it does, click it. and there you have it =]

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

~/Library/Application Support

Safari and Firefox have their own folders there, complete with bookmarks. I would just backup the entire Application Support folder... it may have contents for other apps you may find you need later.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNewbie View Post
im trying to unload data off of a dying harddrive and need to find my bookmarks for safari and mozilla. i cant find them in the users folder?
For Firefox, try this:
Spotlight -> type Firefox -> the first folder listed, which will show Firefox in Users/name/Library/Application Support. Click that folder in S'light.

When it opens you'll see another folder called Profiles. 2x-click that folder, after which you'll get another folder (with a strange name) in which you'll find a folder named bookmarkbackups, a heap of bookmarks with the Firefox emblem on them, plus a file called bookmarks.bak (backup) and bookmarks.html. I see the last two get modified regularly, which tells me they're a form of diary.

Follow the same Spotlight process for Safari until you find the Bookmarks folder. It should be under Users/name/Library/Caches/Metadata.

Take all those book mark files and transfer them to the new drive under the respective directories you see above.
QUOTE Thanks
cburtram

cburtram is on a distinguished road

So, I just reinstalled my system and thought I'd share this info for restoring Firefox bookmarks. This applies to Firefox 3+. In your old user folder go to the following
Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/(random numbers/letters).default

In this folder there are 4 files and one folder

bookmarkbackups folder which contains daily bookmark back ups (though I'm not sure how to use them).
bookmarks.bak and bookmarks.html - These are manual back up files and will only have the bookmarks you have manually backed up.
places.sqlite and places.sqlite-journal - These are the actual bookmark files Firefox uses.

I copied the folder and 4 files from my previous system to the same place in the newly installed system and all my bookmarks were there. You need the places.sqlite files or it won't work. Hope this helps someone.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

In Firefox, you can backup your bookmarks easily. Go to Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks... > Star with refresh logo in toolbar (I think that's what it is) > Backup...

To restore them, go to Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks... > Star with refresh logo in toolbar (I think that's what it is) > Restore > Choose File... > choose the backup file you created earlier.

See here.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« trying to email a pdf in Mac Adobe Reader... | Can't Remove An Icon From The Dock. Help! »