New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

MacTheRipper over an hour to extract 1 dvd


Thread Closed

 
Thread Tools
Dec540

 
Member Since: Apr 12, 2008
Posts: 130
Dec540 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 2011 15" 2.0Ghz (hi-res, Momentus XT). 32GB iPhone 4.

Dec540 is offline
Hi there, i'm running mactheripper on a brand new MB and its taking ages to extract 1 dvd. On my old computer it use to take 10-15mins. also it does not sound like the dvd drive is even trying.. its all silent. is there a setting i can change to give it priority or something? or a different program? cheers
hughvane

 
hughvane's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 18, 2008
Location: Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
Posts: 3,263
hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

hughvane is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec540 View Post
Hi there, i'm running mactheripper ... On my old computer it use to take 10-15mins. also it does not sound like the dvd drive is even trying.
The answer may be in the fact that your old computer had an earlier model of optical drive. Your new MB will have a newer opt drive and will therefore require modern disk media. Check the following:
1. Type of opt drive inside your MB (ie. is it Sony, Matsu****a, Pioneer?)
2. The compatibility of the disk you're trying to burn with that make and model of opt drive (modern drives require modern media types).
3. The brand of media disk and its suitability.

You might want to try Handbrake instead of MTRipper, and there's a very good How To at:
http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-sy...handbrake.html
dtravis7

 
dtravis7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2005
Location: Modesto, Ca.
Posts: 27,854
dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

dtravis7 is offline
Discussions about using MacTheRipper to Rip Copy Protected media is against the Law and there for against the forum rules.

Just to let everyone know.
Dec540

 
Member Since: Apr 12, 2008
Posts: 130
Dec540 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 2011 15" 2.0Ghz (hi-res, Momentus XT). 32GB iPhone 4.

Dec540 is offline
oh sorry i dont remember saying it was because i burn 50,000 dvd's a day hahaha nah my family is well into media and i always receive dvd's of family outings etc. i like backing them up just incase.

MAT****A DVD-R UJ-857E:

Firmware Revision: ZF1E
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media:
Type: DVD-ROM
Blank: No
Erasable: No
Overwritable: No
Appendable: No
dtravis7

 
dtravis7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 04, 2005
Location: Modesto, Ca.
Posts: 27,854
dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

dtravis7 is offline
Was just pointing it out as most MTR threads end up talking about Ripping Commercial movies.
Dec540

 
Member Since: Apr 12, 2008
Posts: 130
Dec540 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 2011 15" 2.0Ghz (hi-res, Momentus XT). 32GB iPhone 4.

Dec540 is offline
kk i will make sure we don't talk about my 50,000 dvds a day ripping business
podboq

 
Member Since: Jun 22, 2008
Posts: 9
podboq is on a distinguished road

podboq is offline
It's not illegal to make backup copies of dvds you've purchased.
D3v1L80Y

 
D3v1L80Y's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 02, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 12,459
D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

D3v1L80Y is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by podboq View Post
It's not illegal to make backup copies of dvds you've purchased.
In the United States, yes, it is illegal to do that.

PLEASE READ: Important information about DVD Ripping

__________________________________________________
Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

podboq

 
Member Since: Jun 22, 2008
Posts: 9
podboq is on a distinguished road

podboq is offline
if you say so, i guess it must be true.
podboq

 
Member Since: Jun 22, 2008
Posts: 9
podboq is on a distinguished road

podboq is offline
the illegality of it is unconstitutional because it ignores fair usage laws that have been around for decades.
D3v1L80Y

 
D3v1L80Y's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 02, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 12,459
D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

D3v1L80Y is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by podboq View Post
the illegality of it is unconstitutional because it ignores fair usage laws that have been around for decades.
I'm not sure that you understand what the Fair Use laws that have "been around for decades" really are.
Nor do you seem to fully comprehend the restrictions and limitations of the DMCA.

Bottom line is, it doesn't get discussed on these forums. The topic isn't up for argument or discussion.

__________________________________________________
Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

aggie97

 
Member Since: Apr 12, 2008
Posts: 74
aggie97 will become famous soon enough

aggie97 is offline
Really not sure why this thread had to be hijacked when the originator never said he was ripping commercial DVDs and then told everyone they were home movies when wrongfully accused. I think everyone on here needs to take a different approach in pointing out the board rules. Just because someone has a mac the ripper or handbrake question, doesn't mean they are doing something illegal.
D3v1L80Y

 
D3v1L80Y's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 02, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 12,459
D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

D3v1L80Y is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie97 View Post
Really not sure why this thread had to be hijacked when the originator never said he was ripping commercial DVDs and then told everyone they were home movies when wrongfully accused. I think everyone on here needs to take a different approach in pointing out the board rules. Just because someone has a mac the ripper or handbrake question, doesn't mean they are doing something illegal.
You are correct, not everyone that uses MTR is doing something illegal. However, I don't see where anyone accused the OP of doing anything illegal.
A moderator did point out the Forum Rules as a reminder, not an accusation.
When another poster gave incorrect information that could have sparked a discussion of illegal activity, I stepped in to correct it.

The Forum Rules are actually enforced on these boards. If you aren't happy with the manner in which they are, you are free to go elsewhere.

__________________________________________________
Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

aggie97

 
Member Since: Apr 12, 2008
Posts: 74
aggie97 will become famous soon enough

aggie97 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
You are correct, not everyone that uses MTR is doing something illegal. However, I don't see where anyone accused the OP of doing anything illegal.
A moderator did point out the Forum Rules as a reminder, not an accusation.
When another poster gave incorrect information that could have sparked a discussion of illegal activity, I stepped in to correct it.

The Forum Rules are actually enforced on these boards. If you aren't happy with the manner in which they are, you are free to go elsewhere.
What an attitude. Great way to promote your forum.
Zoolook

 
Zoolook's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 24, 2006
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 2,751
Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Zoolook is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie97 View Post
What an attitude. Great way to promote your forum.
Actually it does promote the forum, because by enforcing all of the rules, the members hear know they are safe from spam, personal insults, pornography etc. This forum has one of the best communities I have seen in a long time and the reason why so many helpful old timers stick around, is for exactly that reason.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge


Thread Closed


« Freeze-ups in PowerPoint | Adobe Creative Suite installed every thing but Photoshop. »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?