New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Office 2008 mac - powerpoint font problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

swytch

swytch is on a distinguished road

Hi

Can anyone help us, we've spoken to Microsoft and they have been no help at all

we've just bought office 2008 mac and we are having a problem with powerpoint, it isn't displaying type correctly it looks like unreadable garbled greek

we've tried opening in safe mode, re-installing, trying a different computer etc

we've tried two processors and graphics cards

we have G5 computers with 20 inch screens, when we changed the resolution yesterday it seemed to stop the problem but today this isn't working?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pants.jpg (13.3 KB, 16 views)
QUOTE Thanks
mrben2k8

mrben2k8 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro Intel i5 2.53GHz, 4GB, 500GB, nVidia GT330m. iPhone 4S 16GB

are u using a custom font (one u made/downloaded off the internet) for this?

thats might be it, there might be compatablity issues

i dnt know a fix tho im affraid

mr.Ben
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

swytch,

Have you tried switching fonts to see how that would affect things? I have Office 2007 installed on my Mac in Parallels/XP and it seems to be working fine. Select the page in the middle and that will allow you to change fonts in the HOME Tab... maybe if you change the fonts, things will work themselves out.

Also, you can try the different options in PP. Go to the Circular selection icon (the Office Button) at the left of the main menu bar. Then at the bottom of that dialog there's a button called Power Point Options. Select that and go through all the options. Maybe some of the options can help you...

Sorry I can't be more specific, but maybe going through the menus will help you. Good luck,

Noel
QUOTE Thanks
Noels

Noels has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

swytch,

I just realized you were asking about PP 2008, not 2007... sorry! Anyhow, I also have PP 2008 and just opened it; the Formatting Palette pops up right away, so changing fonts (or trying to) should be easy enough. Same thing as 2007, just click on the blank page and the fonts are selectable. Work through several fonts and see if that helps what displays...

The PowerPoint menu also has many different options for selecting things like Preferences, etc. The Formatting Palette also has many options you can page through. I suspect maybe doing that might help.

As a last resort, take the machine down to a local Apple store and present them with the problem, see what they can do for you.

Good luck, Noel
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

It could be the font, but also likely to be the font cache

Try cleaning out all font caches using MainMenu and see if that resolves it

www.santasw.com
QUOTE Thanks
trekboy

trekboy is on a distinguished road

Did you ever find a solution to this problem. We have 10 Macs that all experience the odd greek font with Office 2008.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Try the font cache clean up first
QUOTE Thanks
sinnertoo

sinnertoo is on a distinguished road

Activate your TrueType symbol.dfont. If this is not activated, you can experience a multitude of problems.
QUOTE Thanks
blewvelvet

blewvelvet is on a distinguished road

Yep..we found that one user's powerpoint files had the Greek issue in every file.

Another use user did not have the issue.

We weren't sure what it was so one user deleted MS Office 2011 completely and reinstalled. Same issue occurred. This did not fix.

What we found was that the one user had a font "Symbol.ttf" in their

"/System/Library/Fonts" folder

We copied that into the "greek'd issue" machine and restarted Powerpoint.

WORKED!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do i set up Mail? | Problems downloading from App Store »