New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Backing Up iTunes Library

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dennis495

dennis495 is on a distinguished road

I just finishing backing up my Itunes music library to a DVD-R disc. It was really easy using Itunes to do it. I experimented by trying to play it in my Blu-ray Player. It didn't play any music because it was a data disc. I didn't really think I'd hear any music, I just like to experiment. Anyway, I've got a couple of questions. Was the disc supposed to become a data disc? Is there any way I can get the music to play (besides putting the disc back in my computer)?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis495 View Post
I just finishing backing up my Itunes music library to a DVD-R disc. Was the disc supposed to become a data disc? Is there any way I can get the music to play (besides putting the disc back in my computer)?
You say you backed up the Library of iTunes - yes? Therefore it is data.

If you meant to backup the iTunes music, then you needed to burn the disks as Audio, from the iTunes music folder (not the Library), a process which would convert the .mp3 of iTunes into audio format (eg. aiff) for playing on a regular audio system (home theatre, CD player etc).

Be prepared for a surprise when you find out how recording iTunes .mp3 files to a dvd or cd 'expands' the files. That's because .mp3 is a highly compressed format, which will not play on a regular audio system.
QUOTE Thanks
dennis495

I backed up the music onto a DVD-R. Was this wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Well, you've made a backup! So in that sense, not wrong. It would work on a computer, and if things were to go horribly wrong you've got a copy of everything so you could put it all back in the computer.

The difference is that as Hughvane said mp3s are data files, and very compressed. Normal music CDs are in other file formats (and not DVDs), which is why you can't get so many tracks on. If you want to make a CD to play in your average CD player you can do that with iTunes too.

You can get CD players now that play mp3 CD-Rs, but I've not seen any yet that will play a DVD with mp3s on it.
QUOTE Thanks
gary61071

gary61071 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video

There's really nothing wrong with doing that, if you wanted to backup your music files onto separate media should your computer die on you. I've done the same thing with mine. Mostly because I was running low on hard drive space. Then I bought an external HD and they are on there as well.

But if you intended to carry around your collection to play on a variety of audio players, like an ipod only on dvd's, then I believe they might not work that way. However, if you were to burn them onto a CD as a data disc, you should be able to play them in your car stereo if it has mp3 capability. I do not own a car stereo with that feature, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Perhaps that's something you can try: burn a portion of your music onto a CD (not a DVD) as a data disc, not Audio. You can only fit around a hundred or so, I think. Then try that on your Blu-Ray player or other device.

"Of course I'm serious. And stop calling me Shirley."
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

My car stereo will happily play an mp3 CD

My DVD player will play an mp3 CD, just not an mp3 DVD.
QUOTE Thanks
dennis495

Mp3's are very compresed. I get that. So, if I were to put the music back into my Mac, would it take up more space than it did originally? That's if I lost all my iTunes music.
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

I wouldn't have thought so, no. It should still be mp3s (though don't hold me to that, I'm not sure about iTunes backing up cos I've never done it).
QUOTE Thanks
gary61071

gary61071 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis495 View Post
Mp3's are very compresed. I get that. So, if I were to put the music back into my Mac, would it take up more space than it did originally? That's if I lost all my iTunes music.
Nope. There is no loss or gain of file size when copying to disc or disc to computer. You just simply have a backup of your music files on a DVD, so if you accidentally delete one or more songs (you would have to empty trash in order to completely delete the file), you insert your DVD, locate the music files and copy them to your music folder.

"Of course I'm serious. And stop calling me Shirley."
QUOTE Thanks
dennis495

I just put some of the music on a CD as a data disc. It wouldn't play in my Blu-Ray player. Just so you know. Thanks to everyone!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AHHHH .Mac HELP | Cant open Hotmail »