New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Please help to remove 'read only' status from a document sent to me by e-mail

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CARL

CARL is on a distinguished road

I am a new user of Mac. I have received an indesign document by email that I need to edit and send back. The document is 'read only' and I don't know how to remove the read only status in order to edit it.
Thanks a lot.
God bless you.

JESUS IS LORD!
QUOTE Thanks
lukenn77

lukenn77 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black

im afraid i dont think you can mate. im not an expert on this but im guessing the person who sent it to you made it read only, and so you need to get them to send you a non-read only version.
or, and im fairly new to macs too so i have no idea if this works...but ctrl click then get info, at the bottom under sharing and permissions see if you can de-select the read only box. not sure if you can or not, but worth having a look.
hope this helps,
luke
QUOTE Thanks
CARL

Thanks lukenn77. I was not able to deselect the read only status. I will just wait on the sender to change the situation.

JESUS IS LORD!
QUOTE Thanks
KB3GZW

KB3GZW is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD

This may work.

Select the item and right click and "get info"

You will see a list of selectable menus, the bottom one is "sharing and permissions"

If you click on it and then click on the lock that is at the bottom right. It will ask you to enter your password and after you enter it. It may let you change it to "read only" or "read & write".

Hope this works.

EDIT : Sorry this is was already posted.

I Love Free Software.
Ext. Storage: 500GB MyBook Pro, 1TB MyBook Studio
iPod: 120 GB Classic - Phone : Treo 800w
TWITTER Follow Me
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

This may also work, although it requires a journey into Terminal-land.

Let's assume that the document in question is called "myfile.123", and that it is read only, and that it is in your home directory. If it isn't in your home directory, please move it there before proceeding. Let's further assume that your userid is "myuserid".

Start Terminal.app (from your Utilities folder). Enter the following command:

Code:
chmod +w myfile.123
This command changes the permission bits of the file, in this case turning on the write permission bit. This may resolve the issue.

If you get an error from this command, try this next step. Enter the following two commands:

Code:
sudo chown myuserid: myfile.123
(enter your administrator password when prompted)

chmod +w myfile.123
The first command changes the owner of the file to yourself. The second is the same command from above.

With any luck, one of these two will do the trick for you.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
CARL

Thanks for the help, to all.
I found out why the document was 'read only', although I don't understand the mechanism. When I had downloaded the document from the sender, I had placed it in the Macintosh Hard drive icon on the desktop. When I removed it from there and placed it on the desktop or in 'Documents', it was a normal file that I could edit. Again thanks to all.
God was helping me to find the answer. That's how it should be among believers. We do all we can to help one another and God does the rest.
God bless you all.
Carl

JESUS IS LORD!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 Trial | Problems/Glitch with DreamWeaver CS3 on an intel Mac Book Pro 10.5.3 »