New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

leaving Eudora, where to go?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zinneken

zinneken is on a distinguished road

Which other mail clients do you know that are as robust, fast and reliable as Eudora is?

Knowing that apple mail has had its fair share of unreliability and still doesn't handle very large mailboxes well, which other mac mail client is fast searching through 10 GB of emails?

I've been using Eudora for longer then I can remember. It's always done the job for me FAST and RELIABLY over thousands of emails (over 10 GB of emails without counting the attachments, collected over almost 20 years). But since it is moving to thunderbird I hear only horror stories ...

MailSmith could have done it, but it is no longer being developed and with apple going intel-only next January ...

So, where to go?

mac addicted since 1989!
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Why go anywhere?

I am also using Eudora, and so far have not found anything as flexible. Eudora still runs fine and does what I need it to

I've heard that the classic Eudora gets a little flakier in Leopard, but that's not a problem for me yet. I'm not worried too much about the Thunderbird-Eudora horror stories, since it's still very much in development and not ready for release. (It's still in beta...real, not-ready-for-prime-time beta, not Google's we're-never-going-to-release-it-any-other-way beta.) I'll consider it when it is released.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinneken View Post
Which other mail clients do you know that are as robust, fast and reliable as Eudora is? So, where to go?
I agree heartily with technologist ie. stay with it. Eudora is still the best email client around, in my view. I've tried Apple Mail and Thunderbird, just to compare, and E whacks them on nearly every count. I'm using v 6.2.4 and it does almost everything without fault. Okay, some criticize it for not handling html better, but it was never designed for that, and it does give you the option of opening a html document in a browser - your choice.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I also agree with Tech completely.

On the other hand though, I have yet to have an issue with Mail and VERY LARGE mailboxes. I am a big fan of Eudora and on my PC have very large mailboxes and agree with you, but never had an issue with Mail either with years of saved emails from friends.
QUOTE Thanks
zinneken

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
... I have yet to have an issue with Mail and VERY LARGE mailboxes ... but never had an issue with Mail either with years of saved emails from friends.
Well, I have. I'm running 2 mail clients to separate my personal emails and my business emails. Eudora contains 10 GB of emails without counting the attachments (mails since '89) while Mail contains 7 GB of emails with attachments. On big mailboxes, mail needs (lengthy) mailbox rebuilds and mails have occasionally disappeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
... I'm using v 6.2.4 and it does almost everything without fault. Okay, some criticize it for not handling html better, but it was never designed for that, and it does give you the option of opening a html document in a browser - your choice.
Wouldn't think of using the thunderbird eudora - I'm on 6.2.4 too. It does occasionally crash in Leo and seems to have issues filling up the HD between restarts (with ram cache that doesn't clear on quit or memory leaks?). Add that in 10.6 due Jan next year we'll be forced to forget eudora (sniff) and the new version takes forever to advance, so won't be ready by ever. I don't care for HTML - email is about text that can be read by everyone, not html that is designed for a certain engine ... I'm old school!

But back to the main question, who to entrust my big mailboxes for the next 10 years? I've added a poll, let's see what comes out of it.

mac addicted since 1989!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I am very Old School also and like I said love Eudora, but it's getting a bit touchy especially under Leopard. I would have suggested Thunderbird since you have issues with Mail, but after your comments about Eudora being redone by Mozilla I thought it might bother you.

I voted for Thunderbird in the poll as I feel it will be almost for sure supported for years to come and it's multi platform, so I can run it on anything down the road.
QUOTE Thanks
zinneken

how can we attract more attention to this poll? I think it is interesting for everyone to know since we use email every day of our lives ...

mac addicted since 1989!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

I am really kind of surprised more have not at least voted in the poll or made a comment. Have you tried Thunderbird with your large mail boxes? Was curious how it ran.
QUOTE Thanks
coaster

coaster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac - Intel Core 2 Duo - 3.06 MHz - 4GB RAM - 1TB HD - ATI Radeon 4850 512MB video

I came across this thread while searching for "mail crashes" as Apple Mail has "quit unexpectedly" on the order of once every two days since I began using my Mac just before Christmas. I was thinking of switching to Thunderbird. Seeing that the comments here are a year and a half old, I was hoping someone would care to update their comments on Thunderbird vs. Mail. I love Eudora, too, but I don't see the point in getting involved with it now as it's as far as it's going to go.

~Tim~
Throw the bums out!! Bye Bye Bums
QUOTE Thanks
kahlil88

kahlil88 is a jewel in the roughkahlil88 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro A1151 2.16 GHz

Thunderbird all the way! I have learned never to trust proprietary software...especially after the last time I helped someone migrate their email from Eudora to something else...might have even been to simply another version of Eudora!

There is no system but GNU and Linux is one of its kernels.
Join the FSF as an Associate Member!

QUOTE Thanks
coaster

coaster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac - Intel Core 2 Duo - 3.06 MHz - 4GB RAM - 1TB HD - ATI Radeon 4850 512MB video

Thanks....that's one of the thoughts I had. The other is that since Thunderbird is an active project, bugs will get fixed and improvements will be made. I downloaded it last night; now I've got about 10 POP accounts to set up........

~Tim~
Throw the bums out!! Bye Bye Bums
QUOTE Thanks
Ornery

Ornery is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PB G4 15" Aluminum

I've been searching and searching for an OS X email client that works like Outlook, Outlook Express, or even Yahoo! Mail. I even started using a new free IMAP program called, "RoundCube", that handles HTML with aplomb.

I'm disgusted that Entourage is unable to compose HTML, yet it display HTML messages just fine.

I'm used to dragging sections of a Web page into the body of a message, and have all links, fonts and images function. Is there any current email program for OS X capable of this?
QUOTE Thanks
lesarmitage

lesarmitage is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.7 i5 + MBP 13" 2.26 (2009) + IPad + iPhone

Challenge is that I have is running MS Exchange Server. None of these save Apple mail run Exchange I believe. I'm eagerly awaiting Outlook (MAC) because hopefully it may be better than Mail - who knows..

What's the latest incarnation of Entourage like?

Les Armitage
People make life changes because of inspiration or desperation - http://gardner-riley.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mail shortcut | iTunes 9 Visualizer as a screensaver »