New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

how do i open .xls files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hungpham214

hungpham214 is on a distinguished road

what do i need to open .xls files? every time i have an email with a .xls file attach i would have to get back on other computer to view the file since i can't on my macbook
QUOTE Thanks
LobsterMan

LobsterMan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2GHz MacBook. OS X 10.5.3

.xls files are Microsoft Excel files. You will either need to buy Microsoft Office for Mac, or download the free NeoOffice, which is a Mac version of the open source Open Office.
QUOTE Thanks
hungpham214

hungpham214 is on a distinguished road

THANKS!! lobster. no more switching back and forth
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

LobsterMan is right, you can also use QuickLook to at least see what is inside a Excel file.
QUOTE Thanks
fedcato

fedcato is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterMan View Post
.xls files are Microsoft Excel files. You will either need to buy Microsoft Office for Mac, or download the free NeoOffice, which is a Mac version of the open source Open Office.
It is not free. They EXPECT a 'Donation'. BS!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

This thread is three years old. Things change.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Lez

Lez is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.8GHz Intel Core Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
LobsterMan is right, you can also use QuickLook to at least see what is inside a Excel file.
I have quicklook turned off, yes disabled, when I have it on my macbook goes crazy cpu 100% so I disabled it. How do I view .xls files? I have open office but it is too slow, I only need to view the files, does anybody have any ideas please.

Lez
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

QuickLook.

QL shouldn't be using that much CPU to view files so it might be worth addressing that problem since (a) it's evidently broken and (b) it's the perfect tool for the job here.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Lez

Lez is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.8GHz Intel Core Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
QuickLook.

QL shouldn't be using that much CPU to view files so it might be worth addressing that problem since (a) it's evidently broken and (b) it's the perfect tool for the job here.
Wow quick reply.
You are perfectly correct I should address the problem, I spend ages finding out what the problem was & even more time trying to sort it out. The bottom line is "it shouldn't happen, but it does". so in total frustration I disabled quicklook months ago & have had a happy Macbook, apart from not being able to view .xls files. According to the internet (Apple) it is a known problem with no solution, a minor glitch compared to Windows
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« preview app missing after recent upgrade (10.7.4) | Apple compressor »