New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

MacBook Pro - freezing?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rothko

rothko is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD

Does anyone else get the occasional freeze while using Safari? This seems to happen more since upgrading to 10.5.2. I hate having to hold down the power button to force shutdown.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothko View Post
Does anyone else get the occasional freeze while using Safari? This seems to happen more since upgrading to 10.5.2. I hate having to hold down the power button to force shutdown.
When you say freezing, is it that the entire system freezes, or just Safari? Are you able to do a Force Quit (Option-Command-Esc)?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Nathan1981

Nathan1981 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" | 2.4GHz | 2GB | 256MB VRAM | 200GB HD

Quote:
Actually yes, my mac is virtually brand new and while I have installed a few programs on it, it shouldn't be having problems this bad... Yet when I try to shut down the computer, it freezes, showing just my background and a little running "circle" thing. I've been planning to take it to the apple store when I have time. Really annoying.

- Macbook Pro 15" | 2.4GHz | 2GB | 256MB VRAM | 200GB HD
- 8GB iPhone

Converted to Mac on May 24, 2008!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan1981 View Post
Actually yes, my mac is virtually brand new and while I have installed a few programs on it, it shouldn't be having problems this bad... Yet when I try to shut down the computer, it freezes, showing just my background and a little running "circle" thing. I've been planning to take it to the apple store when I have time. Really annoying.
Much like Windows, it doesn't immediately shut down when you tell it to. It can sometimes take a minute or two. If you've been in the habit of forcibly powering it off, be aware that you may have made the problem worse by damaging the disk structure.

On a side note, since OS X is based on UNIX, it almost never needs to be shut down. Instead, I would recommend putting it to sleep. In sleep mode, it consumes just enough power to keep the contents of memory alive, and will then wake to exactly where you were when you put it to sleep. No need to wait for boot-up.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Much like Windows, it doesn't immediately shut down when you tell it to. It can sometimes take a minute or two. If you've been in the habit of forcibly powering it off, be aware that you may have made the problem worse by damaging the disk structure.
This may help explain a little. Might even help solve some problems.
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/datacorruption.html

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
rothko

entire system freezes
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
entire system freezes
I would recommend that you download and run the maintenance scripts in Onyx and let us know how it goes. In UNIX-based OSes, it's nearly impossible for one program to freeze the entire system for a prolonged period. It's more likely that you have an underlying issue with your disk.

QUOTE Thanks
Nathan1981

Quote:

On a side note, since OS X is based on UNIX, it almost never needs to be shut down. Instead, I would recommend putting it to sleep. In sleep mode, it consumes just enough power to keep the contents of memory alive, and will then wake to exactly where you were when you put it to sleep. No need to wait for boot-up.
Oh yeah, I understand that it takes a minute... but 10 minutes seems a little excessive, no???

- 8GB iPhone

QUOTE Thanks
Nathan1981

Quote:
Instead, I would recommend putting it to sleep.
Oh, and thats mostly what I've been doing since it won't shut down properly.

- 8GB iPhone

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan1981 View Post
Oh yeah, I understand that it takes a minute... but 10 minutes seems a little excessive, no???
Yeah, ten minutes is excessive. I would recommend that you run the Onyx tool that I mentioned previously and see if that helps with the issue. You might also want to reset the PRAM (Press and hold Command-Option-P-R at startup until you hear the system chime three times, then release).

QUOTE Thanks
rothko

When I run Onyx, what exactly am I going to be doing? Like what results do I post?
QUOTE Thanks
rothko

I opened the app and it ran some sort of test and said "the startup volume appears to be OK"
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
I opened the app and it ran some sort of test and said "the startup volume appears to be OK"
Great. The next step would be to click the automation button. Check the following boxes:

1. Repair Permissions
2. Execute Maintenance scripts.
3. Cleaning: User Cache, Logs and CrashReporter & Temporary Items.

Then, click Execute. This will do most of the routine maintenance that needs to be done periodically. After all of this, reboot the machine and see if the problem persists.

QUOTE Thanks
rothko

Wow, thanks! OnyX is awesome! I don't know if it fixed the problem or not but my computer feels slightly quicker.
QUOTE Thanks
Nathan1981

Actually, I did what you guys suggested and it seems to be shutting down again, too! Thanks!!!

- 8GB iPhone

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What application do i use to.. | Advice on Mac Classroom Control Software »