Speeding up my torrents

I know this has probably been discussed many times, but I've recently started using torrents on my mac and I'm using Bit On Wheels, though I'm not getting any speed.

I use to use my PC for torrents because it was fast, but I thought I'd try to use them on my mac and it just goes really slow, even on a torrent that has plenty of seeds.

Could someone please explain to me in a really simple step by step guide how I can speed up my torrents?

Thanks in advance.

Lake Mary, Florida
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Be aware that Bittorrent is a give and take system, meaning that you must share in order to receive. As such, Bittorrent is designed to keep your transmissions slow unless you have your firewalls properly configured to allow sharing. Also note that unless you have some data to share, your transmissions will be slow. So, if you're trying to download a 1GB file, during the first hundred MB or so of that transfer it will likely be very slow, but toward the middle to the end, it will speed up dramatically.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    If you're behind a router/firewall you'll need to be sure port forwarding is setup correctly. Presumably you did this to make you PC torrents works OK. So just change your mac client to use the port you used to use on your pc client. You may also need to configure a static IP for your mac - either in Network preferences or by using your router to always assign the same IP to your mac. Have a look at for more info

Maybe try a different client too. I find transmission to be the best of the bunch.
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Thread Information