Microsoft Office 2008 SP1 upgrade problem
    After I upgraded to SP1 I get the updater it checks the for updates, and confirms there are no current updates. Then i try and open Word (or any other office program) and it forced me into the setup assistant where it just checks for updates again.

I tried to reinstall Office and then SP1 and get the same message. I ended up have to reinstall Office and skip the update process. this puts me in a worse position then before I tried to run the update because i don't have any of the updates that came out before SP1.

Further more now outlook gives me the following message "This identity cannot be opened with this version of Entourage"

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    There appear to be more than one problems with this update. See this thread for other issues too. No solution, but at least the comfort of knowing that you are not alone.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Specs:
    15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
    just did the update and had no problems
    Loving my MBP more and more everyday

Specs:
    2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
    Wow I had the same problem this morning. I just reinstalled it and didn't update.
    Macbook 2.16/2gb/160gb
    32gb iPhone 3GS
    8gb Black iPod Nano 3rd Gen

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by climbguy View Post
    After I upgraded to SP1 I get the updater it checks the for updates, and confirms there are no current updates. Then i try and open Word (or any other office program) and it forced me into the setup assistant where it just checks for updates again.

I tried to reinstall Office and then SP1 and get the same message. I ended up have to reinstall Office and skip the update process. this puts me in a worse position then before I tried to run the update because i don't have any of the updates that came out before SP1.

Further more now outlook gives me the following message "This identity cannot be opened with this version of Entourage"
    This is a known problem with the MS Office updater. Please visit the MS Office for Mac web site for the resolution. Follow this link and select forums. Search for update problems.

https://www.microsoft.com/mac/default.mspx

Regards.

i guess the mods here are quick :O

taken from http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...0514094814989:

Fix: If you are experiencing this problem, delete the following files:

* ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist
    * /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/OfficePID.plist

wow I just joined up because I'm having the same problem and you guys came to the rescue. thanks i look forward to being on this board!

Quote Originally Posted by climbguy View Post

I am having that exact problem and I haven't found a solution yet. As for "This identity cannot be opened with this version of Entourage" try deleting the microsoft user data folder under "Documents"

Thanks for the tips so far - great to see I am not the only one - have tried trashing the Microsoft User data and still no joy - any other ideas??

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    The trick is delete all the Microsoft preference data, Application Support data, and Microsoft folders from your Library and Documents folder.

Once you've done that, delete Microsoft Office and reinstall, it should work fine.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

I'm not sure if this is related to the same issue - I've just done a reinstall of Office 2008, which then created this message when trying to open Entourage: 'This identity cannot be opened with this version of Entourage.'

So I've downloaded the Updates package, which led to this message part way through the install process: 'You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume.'

I'm able to open all applications except Entourage, so the software is definitely on my hard drive, but there isn't an option to Browse for an install location and get around it. Does anyone have input or suggestions?

thanks in advance -

Thread Information