New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

firefox 2 vs 3 beta

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

getuptogetdown

getuptogetdown is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle

Is it worth upgrading to firefox 3 beta or should I just wait til the final release? Thanks!

Loving my MBP more and more everyday
QUOTE Thanks
Nicoya

Nicoya is on a distinguished road

Firefox 3 is now in RC1, no longer Beta. FF3 is much better than FF2 but almost no add-ons work for it yet. The final release is supposed to be out next month so if you do wait it won't be a long wait.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

IMHO, Firefox 2.x is a fine browser - stable, well shaken out, well supported. By definition FF3.x is pre release. This implies that it is likely less stable than other browsers. I would (an am) waiting.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
WolfsBane

WolfsBane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.

I've been using the various versions of FF3 betas for awhile. Lightning fast, and very stable browser platform. I've had no crashes, even with the betas. The newest version is still an RC, (a release candidate), so the developers for plugins and add ons are staying put until the official version is released before releasing their updates. I pretty much use FF3 for all my browser needs. The migration from FF2 to FF3 has been taking place since they came out with beta 3.2, (I believe).

Hope Springs Eternal
Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

There were certificate problems with the beta, we'll see how it is with the RC1 version on Monday. I know there was a bugzilla tracker report opened for it. Hope they fixed it.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Many of the top ad-ons do work BTW, especially things like Ad-Block (needed more than ever now) and most of the popular themes.

It's a better browser than FF2, and very close to Safari for speed now. Highly recommended.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
GroovyLinuxGuy

GroovyLinuxGuy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10

I've been using it for work (on both my MBP and Linux box) and have not had any issues. Stable, fast, great features and nice looking too!
QUOTE Thanks
Tahiti1028

Tahiti1028 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac | 30GB iPod Video | 16GB iPod Touch

I prefer FF2, but 3 is pretty good. I would wait until the final release.

My iMac: 1.6 GHz PowerPC G5, 2 GB (2x1GB) Kingston RAM, 80 GB ATA Hard Drive, DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive, 17" LCD Display, NVIDIA GeForce FX5200, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can you Change a .mac mail account to a regular mail account? | Need dog Breeder software »