New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

OSX Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Namingweary

Namingweary is on a distinguished road

Why and why not? I have always liked Thunderbird but the OS X Mail program doesn't seem too bad.

Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namingweary View Post
Why and why not? I have always liked Thunderbird but the OS X Mail program doesn't seem too bad.

Any suggestions?
I like them equally. Personally, I started with Thunderbird, but eventually switched to Mail since so many people here spoke kindly about it. I like it about the same - it's really just a personal preference type of thing.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I personally prefer Thunderbird for the Extensions, not to mention the fact that I was able to carry over my Thunderbird profile, and consequently thousands of pieces of mail, from my Windows machine.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

I'm with CWA on this....I like them both and they both have good and not as good points.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I also like them both. On my PC's I use Thunderbird but on my OSX machines Mail. I just like the simple interface of Mail and how it integrates with OSX.
QUOTE Thanks
getuptogetdown

getuptogetdown is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle

yeah...i used to use thunderbird on my pc but the integration with mac with mail is awesome.

Loving my MBP more and more everyday
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I have used both, but I prefer Thunderbird because it uses the industry standard MBX format for its mail. This means that you can import that mail into just about any mailer out there that supports MBX (and most do). The upshot? You are not "locked in" to Thunderbird long term. You can change your mailer like you change your browser if you get tired of it.

Mac Mail on the other hand uses a proprietary format for its mail. While you can export mail out of it and into MBX eventually, it is not straightforward for large volumes of mail. For this reason alone, I prefer Thunderbird.

Thunderbird has one more major benefit - it is platform independent. This means that I can (and I do) copy all of my Thunderbird mail folders to an external hard drive and drop them onto my Windows box or my Linux box and have Thunderbird there work with them happily. Hence, a Thunderbird user is not even tied into any particular computing environment (Mac, Windows, Linux, etc.) for access to their email.

Thunderbird features unparalleled flexibility as you can see. It is also hugely feature rich, which makes it a great mailer overall.

I have both Thunderbird and Mail.app set up on my machine, and I occassionally use Mail.app, if only to get the background stationary (a feature that Thunderbird does not support). In the end, I use Thunderbird for most of my emailing, but now and then I use Mail.app and just cc: myself on the outbound mail so as to get a copy of it into my main Thunderbird email stash. Perhaps you should do the same thing. Then you don't have to decide which one - you can work with both for a while until you decide.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Brian Higgins

Brian Higgins is on a distinguished road

Does Thunderbird support FileMakerPro scripting to attach files to emails, and auromatic email sending?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Entourage Crash and Identity problem | entourage 2004 and exchange »