New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Archetectural drawing software?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I'm in the process of extending the existing deck on the back of my home, nearly doubling it in length and relocating the stairs that lead to it. I've already spoken with a number of contractors and gotten widely varying quotes. What's interesting is that I keep finding that the smaller contractors that come in much cheaper, are not keen on applying for a building permit themselves.

I can save a good bit of money by simply applying for the building permit myself, but I am in need of a way to draw an overhead and elevation plan for both the existing and planned structure. I'm sure there's got to be an easy tool out there that basically works like drawing on graph paper (sort of like Microsoft's Visio for Windows). It doesn't need to be anything complex like CAD, but just enough to get my point across (and possibly with measurements and/or drawn to a certain scale).

I ran across Google SketchUp, but it seems like it's more aimed at 3D than 2D and I can't seem to get it to do what I want it to.

Any suggestions on software that might help in performing this task?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

I found OmniGraffle, which is similar to Microsoft Visio. I like it very much, but its not cheap at $99 (and I really won't need to use it other than for this project). Does anyone know of a freeware/open source solution - it doesn't need to be as powerful, but as long as I can sketch shapes on graph paper and insert text into those shapes, that will do.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I have to admit, I immediately thought of sketchup. I use it for designing furniture for the most part, so the 3d aspect of it is good for me. I have no solution to your 2d drawing software, but I'm interested in what you find

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

I'm looking at NeoOffice's "Draw" application - it doesn't have grid lines, but it's workable. I'll have to see what Inkscape can do too - I haven't looked at that one in some time. I was really hoping to find a cheaper alternative to Visio, as that looks like it's about as close to what I'm looking for as can be.

Punch! makes a Mac version of their architecture/home planning software, but it's like $149... which is just outrageous to me since the Windows versions of its software run around a 1/3 of that (depending on whether it's considered "pro" or standard). I would entertain something for $50, but $100+ is ridiculous. This is such a basic draft that I need to make - it certainly isn't worth that kind of money.

QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Have you looked at CADintosh ?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
Have you looked at CADintosh ?
Thanks rman - that looks pretty good.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« CrossOver Games Mac Version 7.0.0 Review | Terminal Mounting Related »