New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Terminal Mounting Related

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ogrillion

Ogrillion is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys, new on the forums and new to the mac world!

Anyways little background on me, I been a big Windows user and recently switched over to Ubuntu (linux).

After really loving the linux world, I bought a old crappy laptop to put linux on. Well after repeated hardware problems, basically hardware just not working 100% with linux I decided to go mac..

So now I have a macbook and I love it. My only real issue has been mounting iso's. See on linux if I had an iso I could pop into terminal and do mount -o loop path/to/iso /mount/point/ and bam mounted.

On mac I can double click it and it works great, however I have this iso that works fine on my windows pc and linux box but I can't mount it on mac. I been trying to learn the terminal commands and everything keeps failing.

When I double click it, it says not recognized. If I try to mount via terminal it asks for a block device, -o loop doesn't work?

Any idea how exactly to get this to all work? I mean its not massive but I more just want to know how for my own benefit I could just edit the iso on linux. Also I have starcraft right, ages ago I made an iso of it and recently lost my cd. So I wanted to install it on my mac via cross over. Well I double click the iso is loads up an error about the iso being damaged do I want to proceed anyway?

I click yes, and amazingly enough it loads up a mac installer?!? But its a windows cd?? Anyways I guess blizzard was amazing enough to include a mac installer on there windows cd as well.. Now my question is how can I mount this iso to show the windows content? The reason is that since it is installing it for a mac power pc it emulates it (since I am on an intel mac) so I am wondering if cross over would be faster.?

Hope this all makes sense, thanks for helping and glad to find a cool mac forum
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 13in macbook - 10.10.1

OS X cant mount certain linux file systems, like EXT2/3 without adding drivers.
This might help (it's beta so be careful): http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Ogrillion

Ogrillion is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the link!

I actually ended up just getting toast, that mounted what I needed without an issue. Just a shame because linux felt so powerful to me because of terminal. But I do like mac os x a lot and I guess "training wheels" is a small price to pay Ty guys
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 13in macbook - 10.10.1

Seeing as you like linux so much, you can install X11 and then some other apps using Fink or MacPorts. Run X11 in rootless mode and use KDE or Gnome or some other window manager. Just like being on a linux box and you still got the Apple gui just a keystroke away.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Archetectural drawing software? | Help deleting Viriusbarrier? »