New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Getting Nowhere with gmail/mail.app imap setup?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacBurg

MacBurg has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G

Hi,

I have recently decided to switch from checking my email through a web browser, to using OS X's own Mail application. However right from the start I have had problems with Mail connecting to the gmail server during setup.

I have checked my gmail settings and imap is enabled, and have double checked and entered all details correctly, yet Mail still won't connect to my gmail account -

I've followed setup instructions according to the gmail help pages, and I've had a good search both here and google for answers but nothing has solved the problem.

This is the first time OS X has failed to impress me with ease of setup, and I'm sure its something simple that I'm missing, so any help would be appreciated, cheers Shaun.

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

For the user name, remove the @gmail.com part and see if that works.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
MacBurg

Thanks for the fast reply Kash, I've been trying all afternoon to get this working with no joy, I just deleted Mail's preference files also, and tried your tip, but still the same message appears.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What port is it set to in advanced? Is SSL checked in advanced?

Also Kash is correct, On the Username leave off the @gmail.com.

Also is this Tiger or Leopard?
QUOTE Thanks
MacBurg

Sorry forgot to mention, 10.4.11, another screen grab from within Mail after passing the setup wizard -

Under "Server Settings" port is set to 587, under "Advanced" port is set to 993, both have SSL enabled.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

That should work. I wonder if Google is having issues? I will set mine up real fast and check. I normally just POP as I like to control things my way. Will get back to you.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

I actually tried it out on my Mac before I gave my suggestion. Worked just fine.

Have you tried doing it via POP? If that doesn't work either, then we might have some other problem.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

It's working here also. Kash beat me to it!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

What else is new?

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
MacBurg

Still having problems, I just tried using pop, and same error occurs, I'm starting to think it's a problem with gmail, I can however log into my gmail in firefox without any problems. Gmail recently upgraded their email interface, however I still prefer to use the "Older Version" and have a script installed to switch to this on sign in, maybe this could be causing the troubles? Otherwise it has me beat.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Let's try and completely rule out the possibility that the problem is on Gmail's end.

Download and install Thunderbird. Try to setup Gmail using both IMAP and POP3 using this client and see if it solves your problem.

If Thunderbird can't access Gmail, then try getting rid of the script and trying again with Mail.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
MacBurg

Hmmmm .....

Will try again changing a few settings but looks like Thunderbird is having similar issues connecting to my gmail account.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes album grouping issue | Help with Suitcase needed!!!! »