New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Handbrake won't open

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jrod81

jrod81 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,
I went to www.download.com and downloaded handbrake. The dmg shows up on my desktop after the download process, and then I drag the handbrake icon into my applications folder. Then from my applications folder I try to open handbrake... it pops up on my dock for a second or two and then just disappears. I tried to open it straight from the dmg and same thing... any thoughts? What am i doing wrong?
jared
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

What OS are you running? The latest Handbrake is Leopard only.

http://handbrake.fr/
QUOTE Thanks
jrod81

jrod81 is on a distinguished road

well that explains it, i am running tiger... i drug it from an external and it is working now... thanks for the help
QUOTE Thanks
bridgeguy

bridgeguy is on a distinguished road

I am having the same problem as jrod 81..... os x is not launching the os x download for hand brake. I get a couple of bounces on the dock then it just disapears. what else can i try? I am running os x intel...... help!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Are you running 10.5 (Leopard)? If you're running 10.4 (Tiger), you can get an older version here.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
bridgeguy

bridgeguy is on a distinguished road

thanks vansmith-----ur the king that did it
QUOTE Thanks
blackmac11

blackmac11 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC

Yup, I had the same problem. Its slightly annoying how apps work with only tiger and some apps work with only Leopard. Shame...

Thanks for the link Vansmith

l
I’ll keep it short and sweet — Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns
QUOTE Thanks
applejack12

applejack12 is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem, I'm running a Mac mini and it's a lepoard and when I installed it, it didn't open! Please help me!!
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Go to Handbrakes official site and re-download it, trash the old one you have, and then re-install by opening the DMG and dragging the icon into your apllications folder.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
applejack12

I tried that but it didn't open up, what am I supposed to do if that doesn't work? Please help me, I need to convert a AVI video to a Mp4
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Hmm, what version of OS are you running at the moment?
This may be a permissions issue, but need to know the software OS please.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
applejack12

I'm running Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Ok, go to Macintosh HD>applications>utilities>disk utility, and open disk utility.
Select your main HD, and click the repair permissions tab. This will verify permissions and fix any that need it. Reboot your Mac, and then try opening and installing Handbrake again.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sorting Bcc Recipients | Most expensive app in the Mac App Store? »